Goat with Hurt Leg

tomboyfarm

Just born
Reaction score
Our girl has a bum leg that doesn't seem to be getting better. 7 days ago we saw her limping badly. We suspect she slid on the ice while doing her morning fight ritual with her sister. She holds that leg up while she walks and doesn't use it at all for walking. She puts it down periodically when she stands, but not often. We've checked for infection, checked her hooves, checked for swelling, felt the leg for a break, and trimmed her hooves. We've given her aspirin periodically, but it's hard to get her to take it. We wrapped it 2 days ago and aren't seeing much difference. She's eating and her mood seems okay. Time to call a vet? We don't mind doing that, but based on what I've read, I'm thinking they might just tell us to wrap it and give her time.

I apologize if there's already a thread on this. I'm new to the site and had a hard time with the search feature.

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• Zoey 1 (2).jpg
    Zoey 1 (2).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Zoey 3 (2).jpg
    Zoey 3 (2).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 89

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
My thought is some of my girls can be very dramatic. did you find anything wrong with the leg? if not then i might call the vet but personally i would first examine it very throughly and if i cant find any reason she cant use it then i would give it time. she mostly likely pulled a muscle and if you ever trimmed a goats hoof to much you know they will limp for weeks on end.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
If after 7 days she is still favoring it, I would have a vet look at it, could be a simple fracture or something may of torn..
..welcome to BYH :thumbsup

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My thought is some of my girls can be very dramatic. did you find anything wrong with the leg? if not then i might call the vet but personally i would first examine it very throughly and if i cant find any reason she cant use it then i would give it time. she mostly likely pulled a muscle and if you ever trimmed a goats hoof to much you know they will limp for weeks on end.
X2

tomboyfarm

Just born
Reaction score
We just did an additional exam and she winced pretty badly when we touched her shoulder. So...looks like a shoulder injury. Poor girl. We’ve got the vet coming on Monday for x-rays. In the meantime, we’ll try to keep her comfortable. Any ideas besides aspirin?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just did an additional exam and she winced pretty badly when we touched her shoulder. So...looks like a shoulder injury. Poor girl. We’ve got the vet coming on Monday for x-rays. In the meantime, we’ll try to keep her comfortable. Any ideas besides aspirin?
If she is managing with limping... and is eating and drinking well...

I wouldn't give her pain meds.

If it hurts she will remember not to put weight on it and mess it up even more.