Goat with weak back legs!!! Help!!!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whats the weather like? Although the temp is still in the normal range, it would be lower then I would expect here in hot NC!

Have you looked at her eyelids? A fecal would be better to monitor parasites.

You say she's drying up, have you been milking her? How often? Have you been trying to dry her off?

She looks thin, has she been underweight or has she suddenly starting losing it?

I would start upping her calcium. Do you have alfalfa? If you don't have something like a calcium drench, start giving her some TUMS.
It may not be milk fever (hypocalcaemia) but it shouldn't hurt her.

Reactions: TAH

Alison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Gave her the B injection and she's up running around.

So, is that something I should routinely give all the animals? She doesn't eat differently than anyone else, so why would she have the deficiency?

Alison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The weather has been all over the place. It was hot, and then it cooled down and rained the past few days. We had lightening this morning. I originally thought maybe she was scared and that's why she was shaking.

Yes, she is thin. I thought that was due to lactating. Both girls look that way. The one that lost a baby and I solely milk has more weight on her.

I don't milk this doe. She had twins, so I just let them at it. They have seemed less interested and her udder has been smaller the past few weeks. That's why I thought she was drying up.

She now access to alfalfa in the barn during the day. I just got a load. I'll start feeding her more. Before that it was grass hay and forage around the yard.

You know, they also get into the chicken run and eat the chicken pellets during the day sometimes. I'm not sure what's in that or whether its bad for goats... I've started pulling it up so they can't get to it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chicken feed can kill a goat. DO NOT let them have it. They all love it, it is like candy but can really throw the rumen off balance. Alfalfa hay or pellets, or a good 16% protein ration is really necessary for a lactating goat, they need the protein and feeding twins can be just like milking.

Get them a good loose mineral, not a block. The block can wear down their teeth and they will eat the mineral a lot more than a block.

I have never given a goat a vitamin B injection, not sure why they would have that deficiency. Here is a good article.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/BVitamins06.html

Just a thought....is your chicken feed medicated?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Goats really need a loose mineral that is formulated for goats.
It would be good to contain her so that you know what she is actually eating.
Before I started a shotgun approach to trying to get her back up I would def. have the vet out. A vet could save you a lot of money, time, and possibly the loss of the goat.
I have often him hawed about making the vet call. But have never regretted it.
Now that you have wormed her it would be good to go ahead and have a fecal run. That way you will know if the wormer you used is actually killing off the worms.
Checking for anemia on a dark goat is easy. The skin around the female parts will be pale rather than dark. But if its pale she is really anemic.
She looks like a really nice lil goat. Love her coat color.

Alison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's so scary when something happens and it's nice to have some support during all the stress.

Another clue I noticed yesterday evening was she smelled really sweet. So, I'm thinking ketosis. I gave her the Nutri-Drench and the Vit B shot. She's normal and eating this morning. I've ordered the Keto-Plus as I've read people have better results with that, and she doesn't like that drench. I've got kept strips coming too.

That Vit-B shot is good to have on hand. It is water soluble, so I don't think it will hurt anything. And, it stimulates their appetite.

Since all that happened on a Sunday I don't have a vet available. Also, there aren't a lot vets around here that really know goats. It's scary when time is of the essence and you have to make these tough calls on your own.

Thanks again everyone! I'll post again if something changes!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's so scary when something happens and it's nice to have some support during all the stress.

Another clue I noticed yesterday evening was she smelled really sweet. So, I'm thinking ketosis. I gave her the Nutri-Drench and the Vit B shot. She's normal and eating this morning. I've ordered the Keto-Plus as I've read people have better results with that, and she doesn't like that drench. I've got kept strips coming too.

That Vit-B shot is good to have on hand. It is water soluble, so I don't think it will hurt anything. And, it stimulates their appetite.

Since all that happened on a Sunday I don't have a vet available. Also, there aren't a lot vets around here that really know goats. It's scary when time is of the essence and you have to make these tough calls on your own.

Thanks again everyone! I'll post again if something changes!
Good catch on the smell! I was thinking a calcium issue over ketosis due to the leg trembling. The hard thing is that they both have similar symptoms.

I would be drenching with some Karo syrup too.

Alison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
what does karo syrup do?