Goats and backyard pools.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ron and I believe in pool proofing our animals.. All of them. We want everyone safe in our back yard. We go about it slowly and one animal at a time. They are carried into the pool and then turned in the proper direction and are let loose to swim their way out. They aren't always willing students but it's a must at our house.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
POOL-- GOAT -- IN :ep All together??

Sure hope you video this one!!!! :lol:

A moat that was wider than they could jump and you would never need fencing. Mine stay thirsty if the water tub overflows -- until it all soaks in. This will be interesting and I hope it's a little one 'cause they can sure be an armful.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are NDs about 30 pounds so not too hard to handle. That's why we are doing it now.. I have videos of all three getting their "wet" on but can't post them here.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG . . . . are they still speaking to you? Or do they run screaming in the other direction when they see you now??

As anyone with any experience with goats can attest, most goats hate water with a purple passion. I don't know, maybe they think they're gonna melt or something, but mine have always run bleating into the barn at the first hint of a shower. When I first got my mini mule, she spent much of her first day here terrorizing the goats and chasing them around. Moon got stuck in the muddy duck pond twice and I had to fish her out; I figured that was proof of just how scared she was, that she would prefer to risk dissolving to being chomped by the mule.

(Once Betsy had firmly established the Rule of Mule, she let up on them; though I cringe at her method, I just wish they had half as much respect for me!)

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LOL yes they don't speak to us for about an hour after each session. Even cookies aren't a draw at that time so we just let them be and enjoy watching them wander around our yard until it's time for them to go to bed. Little Buttons is the only one who doesn't mind the water and will actually ask for another turn in the pool with Daddy... The other ones? Not so much....

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Years ago I gave a pygmy wether to my veterinarians children. They loved him! (especially when he jumped on a clients car and they had to shell out for a new paint job). But that's another story...

Around Halloween one year they had several of those plastic pumpkins with straps that their children would use to gather candy on a trick or treating trip. They had them sitting around their backyard pool as decorations. That silly goat stuck his head in one and got it caught over his head - effectively blinding him. He fell in their pool and drowned.

So, I agree with what you are doing - even if the goats get ticked!

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
POOL-- GOAT -- IN :ep All together??

Sure hope you video this one!!!! :lol:

A moat that was wider than they could jump and you would never need fencing. Mine stay thirsty if the water tub overflows -- until it all soaks in. This will be interesting and I hope it's a little one 'cause they can sure be an armful.
I have video of all three of them getting their "wet" on... I just can't post it here....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are braver than I am. I like to swim in nice clean pool water. I would just fence the pool with vertical wrought iron to keep all critters out of it.