Goats with collars?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We bought the stuff to make our own because it was cheaper...I forgot I’m bad at sewing and they broke. Now if I have a sick goat or anything I just put a dog collar on them to make them easier to catch. I will probably redo the collars, but haven’t yet. Just make them so they can break if they need to. You don’t want a stuck goat.

2goatgal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am now the proud parent of 3 goats. A wether, a doeling and her baby she had this morning. I want to feed the wether and doeling separately now so he doesn't eat all her food. I was thinking about getting collars for them. Is there a such thing as a goat collar or do I just use a dog collar. Is there a better idea? I didnt really want to put harnesses on them.
Thanks!
I've had old dog collars on mine since they were weeks old (actually started with cat collars because their neckswere so small). I can't do without them. Goats are like 4 legged eels when it comes to gates and I need a handle!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We started with dog collars, but then went to S hook chain. Thin stuff and you could make it larger or smaller by adding extra links. Very easy.

Next we got a set of metal stamps and very large washers with large holes. I stamped the goat's name and birthdate on the washer and threaded the chain through the hole. While we knew our goats by sight (up to 100), when we went to shows and other kids had to help show the goats the ID washer was a big help when the judge would ask "When was she born?"

Our goats wore their collars 24/7. They were dairy goats and we milked twice a day so it was necessary to be able to lead them around. We have tried the plastic collars but they are not durable enough. They are advertised as "safety" collars because they will break away if the goat gets snagged on something but we have had them break off just in the corral.

Replacing the plastic dairy collars and dog collars got too expensive. Using lengths of S chain was much more economical. If you have only a couple goats though, you can try getting nylon collars at the Dollar Store.

Pinewood Ridge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We just use cheap dog collars, and hang little brass cowbells off them. Love the music! Just leave them on all the time.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had not problem with collars on our goats so we tried putting collars and bells on our sheep to tell all those white critters apart more easily. Unfortunately, with our rough, brushy land all the lovely bells fell off and then most of the collars broke off too. Now we don't bother with collars on our sheep. :lol: Miss the bells tinkling though . . . .

Latest posts