Good Morning

Ctubbs90

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am new to the group. I am getting my Nigerian dwarf goats tonight. They are almost 4 weeks. I am going to bottle feed them. Does anyone have any advice for me?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you found us and tickled pink you are posting.

Naturally we would love to see pictures, lots and lots of pictures. We love pictures, nay we live on pictures.

If you would, please put a general location on your information. We don't need your address, just an idea as to where you are. Sometimes the questions we ask require solutions that work where you live... some solutions are location specific. For example if you live in a humid place parasites may be more of a problem that if you were in a dry climate.

You are going to love your new babies. Congrats, you are now a goatie mom. Watch them, talk to them, let them lay in your lap for as long as they will. It will break your heart the day they decide they are too big, too grown up to get in your lap anymore.

Ask questions and keep asking until YOU understand the answer. We have all been new at some point in our animal career and lots of what we have learned is now second nature to us that your questions are good for us so we review how we do things.

Relax and enjoy the babies. You don't have to be an expert today, or tomorrow but before you know it you will be pretty sharp when it comes to YOUR goaties.

Make sure you have a thermometer if you don't already have one that is dedicated to the goaties. Get to know your vet. Have some emergency supplies on hand. In the Goat section you can find lists of things folks keep on hand... does not mean you run out today and buy everything on anyone's list... but pick items up as you go.

Did I mention pictures? Please and thank you!

Ctubbs90

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you found us and tickled pink you are posting.

Naturally we would love to see pictures, lots and lots of pictures. We love pictures, nay we live on pictures.

If you would, please put a general location on your information. We don't need your address, just an idea as to where you are. Sometimes the questions we ask require solutions that work where you live... some solutions are location specific. For example if you live in a humid place parasites may be more of a problem that if you were in a dry climate.

You are going to love your new babies. Congrats, you are now a goatie mom. Watch them, talk to them, let them lay in your lap for as long as they will. It will break your heart the day they decide they are too big, too grown up to get in your lap anymore.

Ask questions and keep asking until YOU understand the answer. We have all been new at some point in our animal career and lots of what we have learned is now second nature to us that your questions are good for us so we review how we do things.

Relax and enjoy the babies. You don't have to be an expert today, or tomorrow but before you know it you will be pretty sharp when it comes to YOUR goaties.

Make sure you have a thermometer if you don't already have one that is dedicated to the goaties. Get to know your vet. Have some emergency supplies on hand. In the Goat section you can find lists of things folks keep on hand... does not mean you run out today and buy everything on anyone's list... but pick items up as you go.

Did I mention pictures? Please and thank you!

thank you, my babies were born aug 3, they are the first goats I’ve ever owned. We got them from their mom at about 5:00 pm which they probably were nursing on her before we got them. I am going to bottle feed them. I tried giving them a bottle at 8:00 but they wouldn’t take it. Should i keep trying ordo you think they may be full

Ctubbs90

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my babies

Attachments

• 0A06BFDC-04F0-438E-9AB4-1E7D3D936EFC.jpeg
    0A06BFDC-04F0-438E-9AB4-1E7D3D936EFC.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 104

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've only done bottle babies once, and they were much older and already on the bottle... so I am not the voice of experience here.

You many need for the kids to get hungry which sounds a tad cruel, but if they are hungry they will be more interested in alternative sources for milk.

Also see if you can get them to suck on one of your fingers. At this point they don't have much in the way of front teeth but keep your finger out of the back of their mouths as that is where the molars are and you don't want them chomping on your finger.

If you can get one sucking your finger then try to introduce the bottle. The wee thing may not notice and bam food!

What nipples are you using? I used the Pritchard nipple with my two doelings as that is what they were use to. You want the milk warm but not hot.

I am sure some of the more experienced bottle moms will post soon.

Good luck with your cuties. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Latest posts