1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

good organic breeds?

Discussion in 'Organic Husbandry - Cattle' started by bibliophile birds, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Jan 23, 2012
    Royd Wood

Royd Wood New Member

Well although I agree with some of your post I still dislike spammers

2. Sep 15, 2013
    Azriel

Azriel Loving the herd life

I know this thread has not been posted in for a while, but I have been checking out Normandy cattle. They look to be good for both beef and dairy and are great for grass fed. Any thoughts?

3. Oct 4, 2013
    rd200

rd200 Exploring the pasture

my experience is they are nice dual purpose animals but I don't know about a "homestead" cow. They can be VERY high strung! Especially the milking cows- they don't produce a ton, which is fine, and their calves seem to grow very fast and muscular, but wow, every cow I have dealt with on the farm are flighty, high-strung and kickers- JMO-

4. Oct 12, 2013
    Azriel

Azriel Loving the herd life

Thats too bad that you have found them to be flighty and kickers. Thre is a guy close to me that has them as beef cattle and they seem pretty easy going, but he doesn't have them as milk animals. They have great udders and the calves are big and meatie.