Grain: what stage of pregnancy?

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so after searching the threads I can’t find an answer to this question. If any of y’all read my journal, you will know that I recently (yesterday😉) acquired two new does, both are pregnant, one is 3mo, the other 2mo.
I’ve heard that it’s good to give pregnant goats a daily grain ration in order to support their own body and their growing baby(s). So my question is when (at what stage in their pregnancy) should I start giving grain, and how much grain per goat? These are dwarfs, all full grown weigh around 45-50 lbs each.
If time constraints allow, I plan on taking them both to the vet to confirm how far along they are.
Also is it safe to deworm them while still pregnant with Safeguard?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so after searching the threads I can’t find an answer to this question. If any of y’all read my journal, you will know that I recently (yesterday😉) acquired two new does, both are pregnant, one is 3mo, the other 2mo.
I’ve heard that it’s good to give pregnant goats a daily grain ration in order to support their own body and their growing baby(s). So my question is when (at what stage in their pregnancy) should I start giving grain, and how much grain per goat? These are dwarfs, all full grown weigh around 45-50 lbs each.
If time constraints allow, I plan on taking them both to the vet to confirm how far along they are.
Also is it safe to deworm them while still pregnant with Safeguard?
Are the 2 does fat? Thin? Healthy? Wormy/mangy?

Too fat can cause a bunch of issues for pregnancy and delivery.....

You don't want them fat, you want them healthy and getting good nutrition.

A good nutritious diet is what they need... what that looks like depends on where you are and what you have.... large varied pasture, goat pellets for pregnant goats, tender green hay..... a highly palitable loose goat mineral.....

As to worming... have you done a fecal? Do you know what worms they have? Will Safeguard kill the worms that they have?

And off the top of my head... I can't remember about Safeguard and pregancy.. but I am sure you can look it up.

If you are planning to take them to the vet Anyway..... have them do a fecal and a full exam... see what parasites they have.

The vet can also tell you what dewormers are most likely to be effective.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Healthy, a little overconditioned, leaning towards fat but not quite there.found out today that they are both a year and a half old, yet have kidded once before and are pregnant again(they were running with a buck year round) I plan on giving them the rest of the year off after they have kidded. will run a fecal with the vet when I get there

Attachments

• DCBE8873-093C-43A3-9D09-DFA6B19D7261.jpeg
    DCBE8873-093C-43A3-9D09-DFA6B19D7261.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 14347643-4507-4616-90ED-5761D6A13B68.jpeg
    14347643-4507-4616-90ED-5761D6A13B68.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 61

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are at all fat then l definately wouldn't feed them any grain, but would feed a well balanced goat pellet (which is of course made with grain).