Grants mini herd

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello grant new to the site came over from byc, I was interested in minis for the same reasons as you. Places I’m looking to buy are between 8-12 acre lots. Given the extra time it takes the minis to get to size what was you thinking for the in between time. I’ve been juggling with the idea of stocker steers in the spring and summer.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My real thought is to get 1 calf for myself, the first one is the highland/dexter steer, the dark one in the pics. Then have 1 to sell for now. I have an outlet for the extra already, a buddy wants 1 a year. I will likely add 1 more heifer a little later. By the time 1 have 3 cows, the bull, 3 young calves and 3 yearling calves on the ground it will pretty much take care of the land I have available. By the time I take out the space for house, big yard, mow some area along the road, the pond, it leaves me about 8-9 acres to raise the cattle. I realistically could have 10 at any given time once you get into a 2 year finish time. That sounds about right to me. I’m going quality vs quantity thus the addition of the wagyu genetics.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and the bull is here.
36F2A27D-C11C-4440-99C7-F09A8F8C8339.jpeg
36F2A27D-C11C-4440-99C7-F09A8F8C8339.jpeg

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My real thought is to get 1 calf for myself, the first one is the highland/dexter steer, the dark one in the pics. Then have 1 to sell for now. I have an outlet for the extra already, a buddy wants 1 a year. I will likely add 1 more heifer a little later. By the time 1 have 3 cows, the bull, 3 young calves and 3 yearling calves on the ground it will pretty much take care of the land I have available. By the time I take out the space for house, big yard, mow some area along the road, the pond, it leaves me about 8-9 acres to raise the cattle. I realistically could have 10 at any given time once you get into a 2 year finish time. That sounds about right to me. I’m going quality vs quantity thus the addition of the wagyu genetics.
Now look what you done....I seen a white park before but yours look great. With the wagyu genes to boot nice grab. Defiantly let us know how it go, I wanted mine to only feed on pasture during the summer like most but since I’m home buying with these things in mind I need to talk to cattle farmers in the area I’m interested in. We don’t eat a lot of beef so I figured the minis would be good for low acreage. 8-9 acres is more then I think I would have considering the goats, pony, pigs, and llamas all need to share and Ofcourse my house and backyard. I was choosing gn between dexter, highland, Hereford, lowline. Someone suggested I go for bigger cattle so I’ll se