Grants mini herd

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I have a question, posted in goats too. I have some weeds the cattle don’t like, thistle, mullion, etc. would 2-3 goats clean up the weeds or should I keep battling them chemically?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sheep will eat the heart out of thistle but not the stickers leaves. They don’t eat mullein. Mullein is a medicinal plant, the leaves can be dried for a tea that will break a fever. My grandfather told me of his mother making a bitter tea for him and his siblings when they were kids. I’ve never tried it but always keep some growing just for nostalgia sake.

Don’t know of anything that eats mullein.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have a question, posted in goats too. I have some weeds the cattle don’t like, thistle, mullion, etc. would 2-3 goats clean up the weeds or should I keep battling them chemically?
Usually they will eat anything and prefer the ruff stuff over good grass. That is why I originally got them. They eat what the horses don't and in turn it makes more grass for the horses and they make more $$$ pound for pound than cattle.
But like the bull impossible to fence in. A saying I like is if the fence won't hold water it won't hold a goat. That's why I don't have goats anymore.

On a side note I may be able to loan a bull next year. He's Zebu. Small but not sure if that's what you want.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Usually they will eat anything and prefer the ruff stuff over good grass. That is why I originally got them. They eat what the horses don't and in turn it makes more grass for the horses and they make more $$$ pound for pound than cattle.
But like the bull impossible to fence in. A saying I like is if the fence won't hold water it won't hold a goat. That's why I don't have goats anymore.

On a side note I may be able to loan a bull next year. He's Zebu. Small but not sure if that's what you want.
Thank you for the offer. I will keep it in mind.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Added a couple of weed eaters to the herd. Everyone is doing great.

Honeynut is definitely expecting. Hallie I don’t think is. Not sure if she got injured pulling the 1st calf, couldn’t, but I see no signs from her Without a bull I’ll be culling cows, buying steers or heifers to raise for beef

Anyone butchered a relatively young cow that’s only had 1 calf?
432F1E46-D642-49CA-A1FA-1B4F1918D8C7.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The young cow should be just fine for beef. Your animals are well fed and do not have to work very hard for their grub so not stringy beef to deal with. Also, she is only about 3 plus? If she is in good flesh, she ought to have a good fat cover and marbling. I wouldn't hesitate to eat her if she was mine.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The young cow should be just fine for beef. Your animals are well fed and do not have to work very hard for their grub so not stringy beef to deal with. Also, she is only about 3 plus? If she is in good flesh, she ought to have a good fat cover and marbling. I wouldn't hesitate to eat her if she was mine.
Yes, she’s 3. I may get her a little more fleshy as spring grass comes on and grain her a bit. See if a friend wants her. There’s not much grass out there right now, but 5 are getting a full square bale a day of good grass hay, with unlimited 20% protein available until this week. The 5 ate 4 200# buckets this winter.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, she’s 3. I may get her a little more fleshy as spring grass comes on and grain her a bit. See if a friend wants her. There’s not much grass out there right now, but 5 are getting a full square bale a day of good grass hay, with unlimited 20% protein available until this week. The 5 ate 4 200# buckets this winter.
Also, she’s had the calf off her since September.