Great Pyrenees rough with sheep

Don & Sandy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today was definitely a terrible day with Bindi and to be honest I’m not sure why she behaved like she did. While in the corral with a ewe and her 4 hr old lamb she attacked the ewe. I had to reach in and pull her away. She has never done anything like this before.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im sorry to see that. Maybe you should seperate her from your sheep until you can get some help with her behavior. I know this is upsetting to you. It would be for me, also.
I wish I was qualified in working with and training LGDs because I would love to help you if I could. There are many members on here who are and Im sure they will do thier best to give you advice on what needs to be done.

Don & Sandy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Im sorry to see that. Maybe you should seperate her from your sheep until you can get some help with her behavior. I know this is upsetting to you. It would be for me, also.
I wish I was qualified in working with and training LGDs because I would love to help you if I could. There are many members on here who are and Im sure they will do thier best to give you advice on what needs to be done.
Thank you. You’re right this is very upsetting and I would appreciate any help.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was definitely a terrible day with Bindi and to be honest I’m not sure why she behaved like she did. While in the corral with a ewe and her 4 hr old lamb she attacked the ewe. I had to reach in and pull her away. She has never done anything like this before.

I read so many posts that they seem to blend together. What kind of relationship do you have with your dog? Does it normally respond to your commands and what kind of training have you done with it?

Don & Sandy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I read so many posts that they seem to blend together. What kind of relationship do you have with your dog? Does it normally respond to your commands and what kind of training have you done with it?

I have a great relationship with Bindi, I have worked with her and have the commands of stop, no, sit and stay down pat. I started out by reading everything I could about the proper ways to train a Great Pyrenees. She was about 12-15 weeks old when we took her to the barn. We built a pen in the barn so she would be with the sheep. I went down every day and put her on a long lead when we fed and let her mingle with the sheep. I then did the same thing in the field while they grazed. As time went on I let her loose but still stayed close enough to watch and give commands as needed. She was still being penned up at night. At about 6 months she was doing so good that we started leaving her out all day with them and then at night. No problems. Then, we bought 10 young ewes who loved to run! She then started chasing after them and would not listen to commands. We started over with putting her on a lead then I bought a shock collar and we went back to penning her up at night. As time went on I would let her out long periods through the day and eventually at night. All was fine until 3 months ago when she chewed on one of our 5 mo old lambs back leg. And here we are now.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of our dogs still goes brain dead over who knows what and we just go back to the starting point like you have been doing. The problem is that if they get by with something like that a time or two you have actually gone backwards even further and you have already done what I would have. I'm no expert but there are a bunch on here so hopefully they will chime in. Rammy mentioned @Southern by choice and @Ridgetop has been real active with advice recently and there are many others.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You brought in new sheep and they acted different from your flock. That is what threw her. Now you know to acclimate her to any new stock that you bring in. Mike is right, you have to go back to square one and start over. It will be worth it, believe me on this. These dogs are so different than what we are used to and they present new challenges. She is a good dog, she just got derailed by new sheep that she didn't "know". She is a young dog and will learn. Makes you want to bang your head on the wall, but you can do this. I see that you are a dedicated LGD owner.

Don & Sandy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One of our dogs still goes brain dead over who knows what and we just go back to the starting point like you have been doing. The problem is that if they get by with something like that a time or two you have actually gone backwards even further and you have already done what I would have. I'm no expert but there are a bunch on here so hopefully they will chime in. Rammy mentioned @Southern by choice and @Ridgetop has been real active with advice recently and there are many others.
You have no idea how this encourages me, it has been a low weekend.

Don & Sandy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You brought in new sheep and they acted different from your flock. That is what threw her. Now you know to acclimate her to any new stock that you bring in. Mike is right, you have to go back to square one and start over. It will be worth it, believe me on this. These dogs are so different than what we are used to and they present new challenges. She is a good dog, she just got derailed by new sheep that she didn't "know". She is a young dog and will learn. Makes you want to bang your head on the wall, but you can do this. I see that you are a dedicated LGD owner.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I keep thinking I must’ve done something wrong, I really had no idea what I was doing, but I tried so hard to do what I thought was right. Do you know what I should do now? Just keep tieing her up and letting her loose like I’ve been doing? Your words are so encouraging.

Latest posts