Hairless Goat?????

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I might suspect selenium or zinc deficiencies - both of which can cause hair loss. In this case it would be congenital, which means it will take a lot of supplementation to correct. A small dose of Bose and some zinc tablets (say, 1/8 of a 50 mg human pill daily for 2 weeks) might clear it up.

Very interesting, to say the least. I had a buck, Oreo II (a rescue), who was zinc deficient and lost hair in LARGE patches, but not nearly that badly. He cleared up after 2 weeks of getting 25 mg of zinc daily.

thingrizzly

Just born
Reaction score
Well I thought I'd give an update on Duck. He's growing, though still behind his twin. Holding his own with the other kids in the pasture, though not as lively. Other than his "goat sweater" he not getting any special treatment. On cold or sunny days, he eats, plays for a little while and then heads for the shed.

They just got a grown billie for their nannies and it's cute as all getout when Duck walks up to him, and seems to puff out his chest as though to say "I was here first". But then when their herd billy beds down, Duck curls up beside him.

Kenneth

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
glad he is doing ok
he will never be the top dog of health when you get a birth problem like this.....but as long as you enjoy him and he is doing good, congrats!

foxywench

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
if it is a deficiency...
will increasing those minerals help the goat grow back eventually? or will he always be a nekkid goat?

it sounds like hes adapted well to his condition so thats good atleast

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd at least paint a little iodine on the bald spots, just to see if that helps.. :hu

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If you do, use Gentle iodine...I'd imagine that skin would be prone to irritation.

Anny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow, that is so interesting. Nude animals are normally caused by a Mutation in a gene. That's how they started to feed hairless mice and other animals.

I wonder if that was the cause rather then the iodine.

Best luck with your little naked goat.

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
please keep us updated. I have never seen one that was hairless but we did have some that were all from the same gene line who's hair was terribly thin and they did not get winter coats like our other goats did.