HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got a guy coming out in about an hour to learn how to dispatch and clean a rabbit. That seems completely reasonable, the kicker, he wants to have his two you daughters watch o_O. I'm like are you sure?! He wants them to see the process, to see if they will eat the rabbits before he starts a rabbitry. Idk about you guys but I am thinking kids are a lot more willing to try something if they didn't watch it get killed. :idunno

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How did it go?
Surprisingly well. He ended up bringing just one daughter, and she didn't watch the killing but she did watch everything else. It "wasn't as bad as" she had imagined lol.

So I have a question! I breed year round and I am trying to bring a maiden doe but she isn't lifting for the buck. At first I figured she just may not be fertile and I tried again a week later, but still nothing. She isn't running or being aggressive though. Could the winter be the reason she isn't receptive? All the other does I bred this winter were already proven. Or do you think that could just be a coincidence?

Great.

Could be something with winter. I had a hard time getting some NZ does bred this winter. I dont know if course of the cold or less daylight. Try giving her apple cider vinegar for a few days and see if it helps.

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great.

Could be something with winter. I had a hard time getting some NZ does bred this winter. I dont know if course of the cold or less daylight. Try giving her apple cider vinegar for a few days and see if it helps.

Good to hear, I was a little concerned about it. I'll give the ACV a try!

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, that doe I was trying to breed left here as part of a trio. I told the person she hasn't been receptive to breeding yet. Hopefully they will have luck with her soon. I am thinking of keeping a female from my blue doe and red buck to see if I can get any reds. I hear it is hard to get reds but will keep my fingers crossed!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hear it is hard to get reds but will keep my fingers crossed!

Good luck to you!

This is a New Zealand Red:
A_B_C_D_eeww++++

This is a Blue
aaB_C_ddE_W_

Your best hope from a cross of these two would be
AaB_C_DdEdWw++

If you bred that back to a good Red, you've got maybe a 1 in 16 chance (about 6%) of getting all the right genes for a decent Red in the first generation. But hey, it could happen.:idunnoBe warned, though - I often joke that if there is a particular color that you are looking for, it's going to be the last you see, or it's going to be the baby that gets pulled out of the nest box and dies, or in some other way, deprives you of what you want. Just one more way my rabbits work their slogan, "how can we drive her crazy today?!":he

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Bunnylady Yes! I know what you mean, my "black" doe I have gives me gold tipped steel kits 95% of the time! One of the "black and white" does I kept from her last year shows no steel like her mom but has given me tons of steel kits! My blue doe has a steel in her great grand generation, and she gave me steels as well! If my buck I bred these last two to wasn't red I would blame it on him! :he:hit

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've decided to keep a couple steel rabbits. We keep getting them anyways :p. Keiko (the doe) has a ton of ticking, I'm hoping that means she has some good modifiers and/or ww. :fl

Keiko
Keiko.JPG