Hard Teat/Mass

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have been watching my older pygmy doe for some time and have discovered that she has a hardened with mass teat. Some background on thisdoe: she is a grade pygmy doe that I rescued at only a couple days old from a backyard breeder who sold day old kids and peeps at easter for $$ to fund his petting zoo. I also took a wether at that time too.. I bottle fed the kids and they are now almost 9 years old and have been healthy and lovely animals. This particular doe was never bred and as a result became more and more bucky over the years and from what I gather would have cystic ovaries. She currently blabbers, snorts, rides around on the does and pesters the crap out of all my does who are in heat! If you did n't know better you would think she was a smaller, shorter haired buck! anyway she has always had a saggly look to her undeveloped udder area (saggy teats) guessing it goes with old age like in humans.. well tonight I noticed one of them is bulbous looking (similar to a teat that would be engorged with milk) and is hard feeling. There is no uddder mass or development.. only in the teat area.. the other teat seems normal just a little elongated and droopy The area does not feel hot to the touch but she was not keen on me messin around down there either.. not sure what to even test for if anything.. tumor maybe? outside of acting truly bucky she is normal.. eats, active, healthy, etc. suggestions or advice!!!!!!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I was told by our vet that cancer in udders in goats is "rare...almost unheard of." Take that for what it's worth to you... :idunno

If she doesn't seem bothered by it, it doesn't worsen, and you don't intend to breed her, I would probably just keep an eye on it.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
At her age and having never been bred, I wouldn't be surprised if it is some sort of tumor but who knows if it would be cancer or not.