Have the vet coming...

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My vet doesn't recommend vaccinating for pneumonia, but if I had an issue with it I would want to. Thus far I've never heard a goat cough.

How did the visit go?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@NH homesteader Why in the world not. It is listed for goats and it works. They are very susceptible to respiratory problems and once the damage from pneumonia is done they will always be compromised. I don't get it. If you ever do have a goat with pneumonia you may change your mind. This wasn't even a discussion I had with my vet, this was my decision.

@Alexz7272 I forgot to mention putting the goats on Banamine as well if they have pneumonia. It helps with the remodeling of the airway.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know, I didn't get to talk in depth about it as I was there for another issue when I thought to ask in passing. I have to see them again soon so I can quiz them more. The owner of the office I go to has a lot of goats and I was told he doesn't do the pneumonia vaccine with his.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good news! Not at pneumonia!!!' :celebrate:weee:weee:weee
We've had very odd weather lately, very warm then very cold. The vet thinks that attributed to the cough and a potential allergy to the hay (which we are working on re-seeding that field to make it healthier). He gave then a dewormer & a shot of antibiotics! He said my whole herd looked very healthy & happy. I found my vet officially, it only costs me $125 for him to come out, check the four goats & give them those medications. I was so scared it'd be so much more!

Fun sidenote: My father had today off so he and my little guy came up to 'help' :love
IMG_9678.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good to Hear Alex!! ...and treasure having a Vet!! I sure wish we did here, it would make things much better to know there is backup...just thankful the goats haven't had any issues as of yet. :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww :hugs you did not fail! You don't know what to ask til you know. We ALL learn as we go. Most of the time we think of our questions later.
Vets often get caught up in the treatment and the actual issue at hand and sometimes forget to share the hows and whys of what they are doing.
Having the info to just the few questions I asked will help you to learn more and to know what was effective, why it was done etc.