Hay prices

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I normally buy coastal Bermuda for $45 per 1200 lb round bale for the 2nd cutting
That's all gone now
Been getting 1st cut fescue for $30
Can get alfalfa sometimes for $12 for squares
Just bought 5 squares of 2nd cut Timothy/ Orchard from NY for $10
How big are those squares?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I mostly feed round bales, i'm very fortunate because the neighbor bales the hay on dstr#3's property and we split the bales. he brings me two bales at a time all thru the winter for free. has been a great deal for the last 10+ but since she is selling the land my free hay will soon come to an end. ahhh well, all good things must come to an end. I also buy 50 - 75 square bales to put out in the barn if the weather is bad and they stay contained. also give square bales to the buck in his pen. I pay $5-$7 a bale delivered and stacked in my barn. mostly just a good grass hay that the girls like.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
At our local feed store 100-110 pound bales are :
  • Alfalfa - $17
  • Oat - $14
  • Grass - $20
  • Straw - $8

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's werid to me too. I suppose if it was in an area with a high horse population, high quality grass hay would be worth more then alfalfa.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Crazy to me...that your grass hay is more than the alfalfa. Wild.

That's werid to me too. I suppose if it was in an area with a high horse population, high quality grass hay would be worth more then alfalfa.

I think it might be because of where it's grown/not grown? I think I remember someone saying something about it being trucked in from Oregon. I'll ask the hay guy the next time I'm there.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grass hay is more here than Alfalfa and has been that way for at least 8 years. I don't buy it.

I buy alfalfa 1200-1400 lb bales for 160.00 and 100 lb bales for 13.00. (might be more now). I only buy the small bales if I have someone doing chores for me. I can buy wheat hay for about 9.00 for 100 lb bale but feed it primarily to my chickens and occasionally to my does and never to my bucks so I don't buy it very often.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in Southwest VA, with our 150 day growing season, grass hay is $3-4 small square bale, anywhere from a 30lb bale really dry and loose, to a 80lb bale packed really dense. I buy or trade from friends and neighbors, so I can't be too picky.

Square alfalfa is $6-9 bale.

For a 4x4 round bale $25-$30, 4x5, $30-$40, 5x5 $40-$60. All these prices go up for fertilized, sprayed (fewer noxious weeds), alfalfa/clover/timothy/orchardgrass mixed in, nutrient tested, delivery etc.

I have a feeling prices must really vary around the country!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought a square bale of compressed Alfalfa for $18. We'll be calling to get prices very soon as we want to be prepared for winter. So far the cows have just been grazing out in the pasture. I'll post with pricing once I find out.

@OneFineAcre could you please let me know where/who in NY you bought the bales of Timothy/Orchard from in NY? I'm in upstate NY, would like to check out that place as well. Thanks!