Headbutting question

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 9mo doeling who loves to be pet but is a bit sassy when she doesn't get her way. If you stop petting her and she wants you to continue or your too slow giving her something she wants she'll give you a light headbutt or rear up/ back up like she's going to headbutt you. I don't want to encourage this behavior so I tell her 'NO' very loudly, which was recommended to me, and while she's better than she was it's still happening. Anyone have any suggestions?

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
we have a foal that bites what we doe is you love on their face till they don't want you to but you continue till they pull away.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we have a foal that bites what we doe is you love on their face till they don't want you to but you continue till they pull away.
Love on their face how? Just rubbing their face and and head?

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I second the spray bottle/squirt gun - goats hate water. When she shows any negative behavior, spray her in the face and shout a stern "No!". She needs to realize that you do not accept that kind of behavior that you are in charge.

If that doesn't work, flip her on her back and pin her there for 5-10 mins or until she stops fighting you and relaxes. Repeat when ever she shows you bad behavior.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, flip her on her back and pin her there for 5-10 mins or until she stops fighting you and relaxes. Repeat when ever she shows you bad behavior.
I've heard/seen the pin, though I've only seen it done to males. I'll try spraying her first and do this if I have to. Thanks all. :)

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've heard/seen the pin, though I've only seen it done to males. I'll try spraying her first and do this if I have to. Thanks all. :)
Yes, it is a more common "practice" on male goats than female (I do it to my buck who likes to rear up and butt me), but if a doe won't listen/respond to the spray bottle, it's worth try to break a bad habit. You're welcome and good luck! I hope she stops challenging you soon! 😀

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many people let their first kids butt them because they think it is "cute".. What is "cute" in a baby is not "cute" when they are grown. Training is imperative with any animal.