Hello from California!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Basically you just need to talk with them and see what they offer. A good breeder will point out exactly why they are selling a mature doe.
They will point out the "flaws" etc.
Years ago we sold a doe that gave ALOT of milk- she was an unregistered doe... her attachments were not great and she did not have length of lactation. In truth that could have been our fault as we started milking her far too late. But we were up front about all of it and we considered her more of a "soap" goat. Meaning she would give considerable milk but wasn't up to milking 10 months... better as a goat for someone with a soap making business rather than a family milker. They get all the milk they can use but aren't tied down to constant milking for 10 months.

We have a doe that will never leave our farm. She has an ugly udder. BUT she will outmilk any doe, has the sweetest milk and will stay in milk for pretty much as long as we want to milk her. Like I said- ugly udder but milks like crazy. What we did is put really good bucks over her to improve udders. We retain those does, and build the line. She is a NOA doe so as we continue building up her offspring will eventually be American Lamanchas. We bred her for miniature lamanchas as well, we have one of her does (mini) and she milks 8# a day, easy keeper, super high fat sweet creamy milk. Funny how they don't have all the titles and bells and whistles... they will never leave our farm. The mini's udder is great, that is from buck improvement.

Some does with perfect udders may not milk great. Goats with less than perfect side attachments can still milk ... and often will milk stellar!

If you use a stud and the breeder is picky that is a good thing! Keep in mind if they aren't and they breed to anyone paying a fee then your doe is exposed to who only knows what. ;)
Working with someone that can look at your does and help you understand what buck would be best is always good.
Usually those that can do that aren't studding out though.

Stay away from any doe that has kidding complications.

Keep in mind that Nigerians can have large litters. We have a doe that kidded quads, quints, quads... she is due in Feb- hoping for trips this time. We let people know that her lines are high multiples... and we are selective where her kids go. We want to know that anyone that has one of her does is around for kidding. She doesn't have complications just alot of kids and someone needs to be there. We would prefer just twins/tirplets.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't raise nigis so I can't offer you any kids but you said that you have friends that milk so maybe they can help you find a good breeder. As far as testing you want them or the herd tested for CL, CAE, and Johnes. Kids can't be tested until they are older so making sure the herd and especially the dam is clear is important.

I have some friends that raise nigis and I know that they are honest. I can put the feelers out for you if you would like me to.

Do you want the goats registered or does it matter?

@ragdollcatlady lives in the central valley down near Fresno and has nice nigis, maybe she can help.

Heather Law

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would love breeder recommendations! I want to get registered does as I’ll have to breed them each year amd I really don’t want to add to the pool of weird mixed breeds and unregistered animals. I feel that if I am breeding, I am responsible for doing my duty to the breed I choose. Thats why I’m here. I’m a newbie with nothing to go on but I want to do a good job from the start. I have family willing to pitch in for feed costs in exchange for some of the milk. No way three of us (one being a baby) can go through as much milk as we could be getting from two goats. On that note, expense is only a moderate consideration. I’ll pay good money for good animals and good breeding. Its worth it

Heather Law

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just an FYI- know the laws in your state. I believe that is illegal.
With 2 Nigerians you should be able to use all the milk without issue.
@babsbag is opening a dairy in California- she can tell you the laws.
Thanks for the heads up but I actually already know about this. There is a workaround. Like I said, its family and the law says we can’t sell milk but we can do a “herd share” where they help with maintenance of the animals and get a portion of the milk because they “own” part of the goat. I buy raw milk from a herdshare currently but its expensive and they keep giving me milk that is already several days old which is why I want my own goats. Its a loophole in the law. Some people are working on banning even that but until then its leagal as long as my family sign papers saying they own a portion of the goat.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. lots of great folks here. browse around, mingle, jump in when ready, & make yourself at home.