Hello from SC

maryham29379

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello from SC. We started our Homestead with laying hens nine years ago. 3 years ago we branched out to goats, then pigs and then meat rabbits. We've since gotten rid of our goats due to limited space and rotational grazing.

We are trying to be more self sufficient to provide for ourselves as we get older. I have been a member of BYC but found this and knew I needed to join for the knowledge y'all possess.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas. Sheep and livestock guard dogs, a horse and 49 short term meat chickens. Glad you joined!

maryham29379

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, we also garden, can and freeze a good bit as well. There are a lot trying to be more self sufficient for many reasons down here. It's funny to see people flock to SC for the growing seasons and land costs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. I go by chicken math so we aren't going to mention how many I have
I had chickens before I moved, fences here are grown up with 30 years worth of brush and trees, got to clean up and put up new fence. There are some horrible coops that I’ll tear down. For once and maybe the only time in my life, I’ll build a nice walk in coop BEFORE I get chickens again. Maybe next year. I totally understand chicken math.

Meat chickens don’t count, they are short timers.
Eggs in incubator don’t count, they aren’t hatched yet.
Old layer hens scheduled for freezer camp no longer count.
So…. Only the 14 active layers count!

Using this formula, you can slide a LOT of chickens in under the wire!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, talk about "counting sheep" :lol: it puts you to sleep so a real number is uncertain!

Shame you needed to get out of goats. I get a lot from mine in dairy products plus extra milk for other animals. They will kill a fence! 🤣 But I love them. The meat type -- sell kids for meat. That's $ for hay/feed 🤣. But I have plenty of good pasture most of the year. Numbers depend on chores I can handle. :old

Many of us can, freeze, dehydrate. Some butcher often. It's a diverse, experienced group.

We love pictures. 😁