Hello From TN-goat mom :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Kimberly83 you aren't doing anything wrong. You are brand new to goats and there is info that you can use right away rather than "oops what's wrong with my goat". It may seem a bit overwhelming to get alot of info all at once but trust me as you read through you will relax and begin to understand why the recommendations are made.

Unfortunately there are alot of people that sell goats and do not explain care or the what fors. :(

I would check out your county extension service as well. Often the extension services have a class once or twice a year about goat things- could be managing parasites, feed & nutrition, kidding...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does it smell like? Hmmm, I'm not sure that there is any comparison. But I will say that after 9 years of owning goats I don't notice it as much as I used to. It does have a way of staying on anything that it touches so I am careful not to get it on my clothes and then sit on my sofa. It also permeates the air and if the wind blows just right I will think, ahhh, love is in the air. They don't stink year round, only in rut. Technically a Boer can be in rut any time of the year but I found them to be smelly in the fall.

Sometimes a friendly buckling can turn into an over friendly buck. Teach the boy some respect now. Don't let him crowd you or push you. Never play head pushing games with them and never let him jump on you. A 200 lb buck can be a challenge if they love you too much.

Kimberly83

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Kimberly83 you aren't doing anything wrong. You are brand new to goats and there is info that you can use right away rather than "oops what's wrong with my goat". It may seem a bit overwhelming to get alot of info all at once but trust me as you read through you will relax and begin to understand why the recommendations are made.

Unfortunately there are alot of people that sell goats and do not explain care or the what fors. :(

I would check out your county extension service as well. Often the extension services have a class once or twice a year about goat things- could be managing parasites, feed & nutrition, kidding...

That is an awesome idea! I will do that!! Thank you SO much! :)

Kimberly83

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What does it smell like? Hmmm, I'm not sure that there is any comparison. But I will say that after 9 years of owning goats I don't notice it as much as I used to. It does have a way of staying on anything that it touches so I am careful not to get it on my clothes and then sit on my sofa. It also permeates the air and if the wind blows just right I will think, ahhh, love is in the air. They don't stink year round, only in rut. Technically a Boer can be in rut any time of the year but I found them to be smelly in the fall.

Sometimes a friendly buckling can turn into an over friendly buck. Teach the boy some respect now. Don't let him crowd you or push you. Never play head pushing games with them and never let him jump on you. A 200 lb buck can be a challenge if they love you too much.

I have a pretty sensitive nose lol so I'm sure its something I wont get used to ever. At least he wont smell bad year round though. I suppose thats good news. We dont roughhouse with him. Just petting, brushing, treats and talking to him. (yes, I talk to them like they're people lol) The girls do get him running with them sometimes...and so far he hasnt tried to push them. He did jump on me for the first time yesterday. I had his feed and was trying to get it in his food bowl. He jumped on me gently three times and got me muddy. I just gently pushed him off me and told him no lol. Should I do something else when he jumps on me? This morning to keep him from doing that I let my littlest girl give them a little sweet feed through the fence while I got their morning feed and Hay together and ready for them. It worked like a charm lol and I had her do it through the fence to buy me some time. It was a challenge for them to get the feed through the fence out of the little bucket she had lol.

IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_3561.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What an adorable little girl, she will be thrilled when there are baby goats to cuddle.

I think that pushing him off is fine. I usually don't raise really tame bucks, I like them to be little stand-offish with me. I have one that I bought that was a bottle baby and he is just too friendly. My other ones really don't want to be loved on and I am ok with that. I am going to tag someone that can give you better tips on buck rearing and teaching them respect.

@Goat Whisperer could you please share how you teach your boys to be nice boys even when they weight 200 lbs?

Kimberly83

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What an adorable little girl, she will be thrilled when there are baby goats to cuddle.

I think that pushing him off is fine. I usually don't raise really tame bucks, I like them to be little stand-offish with me. I have one that I bought that was a bottle baby and he is just too friendly. My other ones really don't want to be loved on and I am ok with that. I am going to tag someone that can give you better tips on buck rearing and teaching them respect.

@Goat Whisperer could you please share how you teach your boys to be nice boys even when they weight 200 lbs?

Thank you. Is there a particular reason why we don’t want him to be too friendly?! Is it because he might try to ummm.....”jump on us” for another reason? Ha ha! I don’t know how else to put that.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine does try to "jump on me", that is why I don't like them to friendly, but only when he is in rut, they rest of the year he is friendly but not "in love with me". I had another bottle baby buck that was the same way but I would just grab his collar and walk him beside me, never let them get behind you. The buck I have now doesn't wear a collar due to another buck having horns and I don't want them to get caught when they head butt each other.

Kimberly83

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine does try to "jump on me", that is why I don't like them to friendly, but only when he is in rut, they rest of the year he is friendly but not "in love with me". I had another bottle baby buck that was the same way but I would just grab his collar and walk him beside me, never let them get behind you. The buck I have now doesn't wear a collar due to another buck having horns and I don't want them to get caught when they head butt each other.

Ha ha! Okay I thought that was why. Alfy only jumped on me yesterday because I had his food. It wasnt for any other reason, thankfully...and he’s not in rut currently. Thankfully. He just put his hooves up on me like he was a doggie. Ha ha ha! This convo made me giggle. :lol: :p

Alfy wasn’t bottle fed but he sure does love the girls and I. I think it’s too late to unspoil him now. :rolleyes: I’ll just make the girls keep their distance when he’s in rut and “watch my back” lol :lol: when I have to be around him.

Tomorow I’m going to look for a barn for them. They’re little shack isn’t going to cut it all winter long I don’t think. Any suggestions would be so awesome! Actually I think I may start a new post asking to see photos of everyone’s set ups for their goats. :)