Hello!!

Dreamcatcher1265

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome!

What kind of sheep? Hair or wool? Meat?
I have Polypay ewes with a Romanov ram. New to the sheep. Have had my girls for about 8 months, ram just got here about a month ago... all long yearlings. Learning curve is not bad but new things all the time. Lost one ewe within a month of getting them.... that was hard. Still looking for an LGD. Donkey did not keep fox out of chickens...so not trusting him to protect the sheep. The Polypay are multiuse.... wool, meat, prolific lambers.... same on Romanov. Just had them all sheared this morning. Another first... now what to do with the wool....

Last edited:

Dreamcatcher1265

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have Polypay ewes with a Romanov ram. New to the sheep. Have had my girls for about 8 months, ram just got here anout a month ago.....all long yearlings. Learning curve is nit bad but new things all the time. Lost one ewe within a month of getting them....that was hard. Still looking for an LGD. Donkey did not keep fox out of chickens...so not trusting him to protect the sheep. The Polypay are multiuse....wool, meat, prolific lambers.....same on Romanov. Just had them all sheared this morning. Another first....now what to do with the
Thanks!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome
:jumpy:bunny:highfive::weee:weee
Va member here in the western part of the state. Our donkeys and our llamas did not stop the foxes in the chickens or the raccoons or the possums... but great on the stray dogs and the coyotes. They do not associate with the chickens as being "their charges". Don't have LGD's as we don't have the fences for them. Many places are rented/leased pastures.
Chickens, sheep, beef and a few dairy cattle. Big garden this year after several years of no garden...I bought a house on 2 acres that I can now do what I want.... we have several leased and owned farms for the cattle... run a cow/calf and feeder calf operation plus both DS and I work.... he has his own place and currently resides at GF place.

Have had all manner of animals over the years, cattle, hogs, turkeys, chickens, wool sheep, specialty hair sheep, llamas, donkeys, horses... just not goats.

Dreamcatcher1265

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for that info. He chases my small dogs...kind of thought he would chase the fox....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have apex predators, remember the donkey is a prey animal. He will durn sure outrun your sheep! Cougar take the hindmost!

Dreamcatcher1265

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do know this. That is why I am looking for LGDs. We are in the Rockies of Colorado, so yes, have bears and cougar. Have only seen one bear close to the property....but I know the threat. Having a hard time finding any dogs that are not Pyr or Pyr crosses...not enough dog for our area, and they tend to wander from their herd.