Help! ! 1st time bunny mom

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awwww.... I'm sure she does... But she doesn't understand (@ 7 yrs old) it will take a little time... Glad she wasn't scared off by the initial intro. He's young enough that you might be able to win him over, but only time will tell. Just slow and gentle... Good luck!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
One thing is to never let him get what he wants when he behaves badly. Right now, he wants away. YOU need to be the one to wear thick clothes and hold him till he surrenders. I have taken in over 50 abused and neglected rabbits and was only not able to correct one of them. Wrap him in a towel or blanket and just hold him until he calms down. Repeat this throughout the day several times. I suggest handling him in increments of 15 to 30 minutes 5 times or more a day. You will see a HUGE change in him. Talk calming to him. Give him the option for a treat while in your arms eventually when he is calm. He is also in a new environment so he will need some time to adjust. Keep him in a quiet place for a while and slowly let him be integrated into the main living area as he is more comfortable.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most rabbits are freaked out by being picked up, and that can include rabbits that are otherwise very people-oriented. A few rabbits learn to like it, but for most, it's more a matter of learning to tolerate it. Even those that seem OK with it can wig out as you start to put them back in their cage; turning them so they can't see the cage as you approach it can help keep them calm until your hands are out of harm's way. For a lot of bunnies and small children, "pet him, but don't pick him up" seems to be the safest approach.

Your rabbit looks like a Dwarf, or maybe Polish - cute guy!

I want to give the rabbit the benefit of the doubt and believe that the nip was a one-off, but I know that Dwarfs can be feisty. Right now, we have a couple of young bucks that are displaying a bit of hormonal attitude, so I'm inclined to support Samantha drawz's "tough love" approach. You need to be quiet, gentle, calm; but also firm and assertive if necessary. Some bucks are just love bugs, some can be a bit pushy, but I've also dealt with enough truly vicious rabbits to know that it can happen, and to want to head it off if at all possible.

birdfreaks

Just born
Reaction score
in my opinion, 2 months is a perfect time to socialize them. go slow; no sudden movements & sort of think like a rabbit. loud noises scare them, too. it will also depend on the personality of your rabbit. if he is just naturally a bit roudy, then it'll take more time. he may not ever be "perfect" but he should get alot better if ya take it slow. see if you can place your hand in the cage, don't move it for a while, then slowly (i mean very slowly) inch your hand forward when he isn't looking. then see if you can just pet him when he doesn't run from your hand. have times where you don't always pick him up every time you visit his cage; have times where you just pet him. usually petting is less stress than holding to under socialized rabbits. Apply this to slow approach other forms of de-sensitization.
That being said, certain breeds are less docile than others. this can make a HUGE difference. dwarf and minis tend to be a bit more feisty, however, certain breeds defy the norm. some minis are just as calm as standards, etc. i once had a lionhead mini rex X who's litter was drastically different in personality, about as drastic as you could get. literally since day 1 of being born, i had one rabbit who was very fiesty & never calmed down much. there was one average one, and two very calm ones all in the same litter, all had the same ammount of attention , exposure & handling. oddly enough, the one that was the most fiesty looked more like the lionhead (sometimes can be unpredictable in temperment), and the more chill ones looked more like a mini rex, which is known for their even temper. same liter, same dad, same mom & everything.

Last edited:

Dawnclucks22

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Animals can change. Try sitting by the cage quietly for a bit each day so he gets used to your presence. Then try placing your hand near the cage. It will take patience.