HELP....9 week old off her feed!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nutmeg has gone off her feed tonight. 9 weeks tomorrow. She took her bottle this morning, ate pellets & hay. Was eating leafs & grass this afternoon.

Tonight no interest in bottle, pellets or hay. Does these deep long stretches...aches like she is uncomfortable...passing some gas. Gave her some baking soda mixed in warm milk...6 ML through syringe. Temp is 102.6 which falls in the normal range. Belly is soft and palpable. No diarrhea. Not really complaining and no teeth grinding :( . He bleat is short & quick but not constant either., not like usual. Not high pitched screaming.

IMG_20180524_132510.jpg IMG_20180524_133152.jpg This afternoon

IMG_20180524_192556.jpg IMG_20180524_192707.jpg Tonight...though she did stand on hind legs for some lovin. And would follow me around the pen.

Last edited:

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...maybe some probios?? Add some good bacteria to her gut...

If I think of anything else I’ll add it. I’ll say a prayer for her and you.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice , yes they all are. @babsbag , Not sure how this would apply as they have been exposed to grass and browse from 4 -5 weeks, milk amounts have been decreasing as of last week & yesterday, grain amount has been the same for the last two weeks.

She is doing better this am. Took her bottle & eating leaves off the trees, not interested in pellets. Not quite as active as usually, but up and moving. Still doing the long deep stretches. Getting some probotics in about 10 minutes. Thank you everyone!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Nutmeg seems to have improved some this morning. Hoping she continues to do so!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that she is better,hope that she continues to improve.

An FYI, entero is not diet related. It is a bacteria that they can pick up from anywhere. These bacteria are normally found in the soil and as part of the normal microflora in the gastrointestinal tract of healthy sheep and goats. C and D are the most common, that is why we vaccinate against them but there are other types. The only kid I ever had with it was about 5 weeks old and being bottle raised, no pasture, no grain, just the bottle and alfalfa hay. The stretching is a common sign of stomach discomfort which is present in entero.

Latest posts