HELP bottle baby goat

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a bottle baby kid , the woman has been feeding him land o lakes does match replacer , but I don't think tractor supply has it , what am I suppose to do if I can't find that kind ? Any suggestions. I wanted to do the whole milk recipe but I don't wanna upset his stomach , please help

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ask the breeder if you can buy enough replacer from her until the kid is old enough to be weaned OR ask if you can buy 7-10 days worth from the breeder and SLOWLY transition the kid over the whole milk.

Ask the breeder where she gets it from. If its close by she may be able to pick up a few bags for you, or when you are supposed to get the kid leave a bit early so you can get to the feedstore that has it. Once you get it swing by and get the kid. :)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Good milk replacer is expensive and my experience has been that whole milk works far better than most replacers (I use goat milked right from our own if I can). No mixing is needed with whole milk, though I know some add things to it.

I agree with GW--see if you can get a week's worth and slowly mix in more and more whole milk over a week to make a smooth transition.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Someone else has recently asked a similar question... and the most common response has been that just plain whole cows milk should be fine... This is the same information that I've read as well... I agree with both posters above. Good luck with your new bottle baby! Please consider sharing some pics when you can!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Goat whisperer X2, but if you can't whatever you switch to will cause diarrhea for a little bit. If you can get some slowly transition to just plain whole milk as Pearce Pastures says. Straight up goats milk would be better if you have that available.

I have raised two on whole milk and they have done awesome. Still have one of those at my little hobby farm. I have also bottled fed on momma's milk. Milking the mom to fill the bottles. I see more bottle babies in my near future.

Never have used replacer or mixed anything in with the whole milk.

Best of luck and please pictures when you get your baby.

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is the first bottle baby a Nigerian dwarf buckling , he has blue eyes.his name is jace
39606.jpeg

Attachments

• 39606.jpeg
    39606.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 96

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She( her name is Clarie )is 5 days old and he is 1 month now , here is size
IMAG0525.jpg
difference . He was a single and she was a triplet