HELP Downed Cow

Mstarr0121

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My mother in law has a 15 year old pregnant cow she is 9 months pregnant, she has been down for about 4 days. We cannot afford a vet right now and we do not want to see her suffer anymore. We are not able to keep her up. When she was up she had to be held up with a bobcat. she was wondering if the meat would still be okay to eat if they have been giving her supplements and antibiotics while she has been down. she has had the following : calcium, A&d Shot, Magnesium, Omega 2 Vitamin D and Omega 3 Vitamin D, and a antibacterial shot. Any info would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm feeling it will be needed to provide quantities give, when, name of biotic....plus

What happened before she went down -- feed given, was she eating, drinking, etc. how far pregnant? Eating now? On sternum or flat out...any temp?

Hard to help with just what you provided. She may be salvageable....may not. So if you're at the give up & butcher stage, the local kill facility can give info as to biotic withdrawals more than likely as they need to have this info.

Mstarr0121

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm feeling it will be needed to provide quantities give, when, name of biotic....plus

What happened before she went down -- feed given, was she eating, drinking, etc. how far pregnant? Eating now? On sternum or flat out...any temp?

Hard to help with just what you provided. She may be salvageable....may not. So if you're at the give up & butcher stage, the local kill facility can give info as to biotic withdrawals more than likely as they need to have this info.
she is 9 months pregnant she was eating and drinking regularly she has been eating but not as much. she is not flat out and not any temperature. her legs are super weak. they cant remember the name of the antibiotic she was given. she has been down 3 times before this and normally a calcium treatment was given and she got right up but it isnt working this time. thank you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She has premilk fever.... just some calcium is not enough. She needs to be IV'd with a cal/mag/phos combination... it is affecting her metabolism with her being this far along pregnant.
This is similar to what is called pregnancy toxemia in sheep....
No meat is considered good to eat if given antibiotics.
Are there any dairyman around that would come out if you called them to give you a hand??? 99% of the dairyman around here can do IV's.... it needs to be in either the jugular or can also be done in the milk vein.....SLOWLY.
Seems such a shame to get her to 9 months, close to delivering, and then just not be able to get the vet out for her....
I am going to make an assumption is is a jersey or jersey cross???? They are susceptible to it and have more problems as they get older...You could try the calcium combination tubes, if she is still swallowing.... 1 every hour for 4-6 hours/tubes... but the IV will 99% of the time get her on her feet. I know vets are expensive but you are looking at burying $1000 worth of a cow for a $200 vet call..... problem is you may have let her go too long....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The tubes are at most all feed stores. CPMK, most often called. Haven't bought/priced in a long time but guessing $12-15 per tube. If you do not have a dairyman, at least consider few tubes. Such a shame to lose her and a calf. But -- you also need to look at what feed she's getting. I'm guessing that needs improvement as this will not improve when she's producing milk, unless you do -- if she pulls through. Just my opinion. If my cow, I'd be getting it now.

We're trying to help. Hope it does. Please let us know how it goes ❣️