help! ear tag in wrong place caused bleeding on lamb's ear

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
someone please advise me what to do !
It is Sunday, May 25,2014, about 4:25 pm EST.

while putting an ear tag in a week old lamb it is too close to the lower vein (NOT in the middle vein)
and it drew blood! I feel awful about this and I hope the lamb is not in pain.

There are no instructions on how to remove it but it is all plastic, should I try to cut the tag
to get it out? I'm afraid it will get infected if it stays.. I can put hydrogen peroxide or antibacterial ointment if I get it out.

I am so sorry, because this is the cutest lamb and I already tagged 8 of them with no problems!!

I need to do something soon I'm afraid it will swell up making removal more difficult.

thanks for your help!

update: it's half hour later...the lamb's ear is not dripping blood..she acts ok, I have not removed the tag.
I am prone to panic easily because I love the little darlins so much I guess.
I'm breathing easier now, but still would appreciate reassurance.

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have tagged goats, not a lot but a few. Some have bled a bit but they were all fine. I would put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and hopefully someone with more experience will chime in!

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks Goat Whisperer, I will keep a watch for infection. It's good to know yours were ok
afterward. It seems not so bad since the bleeding stopped quickly.

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thankyou people, for your caring. The little ewe is jumping around happily as usual today so I expect she will be alright.
Sheepgirl, I will try to be even more careful in the future and hope it never happens again.
I had to put the tag in with no helper which is difficult because it takes both hands just to close the tagging tool.
I wonder if there is a tool sized better for women's hands ?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I use the Allflex universal tagger. What I do is I hold the lamb straddled in between my legs with just his head sticking out. I carefully decide the placement of the tag and then I use both hands to clamp it down real fast until I hear the click.

Scroll down to "Newborn Lamb Processing" and you can see the video on how I ear tag the lambs: http://twinwillowacres.webs.com/basic-shepherding (This was done last year and I probably need to redo it lol)

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks SheepGirl, I did see the helpful video on your website.
It is the same tagger tool I have, same struggling of the lamb too when you have to use both hands. I'm not alone, :rolleyes:

I hope you can get the hoof trimming video up soon, that's another thing I'm not confident about.
You probably have a good technique worked out.

I had goats and they seemed easier for some reason, less apt to struggle maybe.

I did see a sheep hoof trimming video once, I better look for it again.
thankyou!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
sounds like you could use a kid disbudding box, not for dehorning but to hold the little lambs while you tag them. I often work alone with my kids and the box is a lifesaver.

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
goatgurl that is a good idea, I will go and make a tiny lambsize headgate of some sort for next Spring's lambs.
e-ewe lamb #009May-2014 005.jpg

this is a photo of the lamb. She is doing fine now, I thought you might like to see her.

Latest posts