Help electrical shock!!

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My son is 6 and got nailed in the head crawling under ours. I thought he was gonna be hurting he just rubbed it off and kept on going. We heard the zap from about 100 ft away.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Around 1J at 5000V is a pretty good shock, but the relatively long period of time between impulses helps make it less traumatic than it might otherwise be if it were 60 cycle house current type frequency..that's 60 "impulses" per and every second..or at least that's the way our minds perceive it.

Less expensive or economy grade chargers impulses last .003 to .3 seconds and the better chargers have impulses lasting only .0003 seconds. The time between pulses varies with the manufacturer, but it's generally only one pulse every 1 to 2 seconds.

House current cycles 60 times in the same amount of time, but that doesn't mean it actually only shocks 60 times per second or even has an 'off' period. It only means that the polarity changes at that rate. The amount of time where the electrons stop moving is extremely short lived in AC current. It's in the billionths of a second. That's the part our minds have problems perceiving.

Last edited:

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My son is 6 and got nailed in the head crawling under ours. I thought he was gonna be hurting he just rubbed it off and kept on going. We heard the zap from about 100 ft away.
That’s crazy. I feel way better now! lol

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The zap's sound isn't actually the spark, as 'electricity' itself moves silently except when it moves thru air at high current and voltage levels. The noise is the air molecules crashing back together after being pushed apart by the spark..mini thunder.

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I emailed the company suggested and they simply said a hose on the hot wire will do just fine. Had no issues with us going through the door. So that made me happy.

Thanks all!!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I emailed the company suggested and they simply said a hose on the hot wire will do just fine. Had no issues with us going through the door. So that made me happy.

Thanks all!!
Was it American Fence or Premier that said that? (the only 2 companies linked to in this thread)
Did they happen to say what the voltage rating of "hose" was?

Lots of people have tried to use anything from vacuum line to garden hose and all have a 'shocking' story to rue because of it.
Hoses crack over time, especially if the hose is run over the wire where the door closes on it and of course, where the hose stops on the fence end allows water and moisture in and you will likely be right back where you were. Insulated wire is sealed off and no moisture can migrate in.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing/insulated-wire

Latest posts