HELP Kids dead from 2 nannies, what to do????????????

Speedy94c

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Went out of town and came back today and 2 of my nannies had babies, one with triplets that looked to be ok but were all 3 dead, 2 still in their sacks and the other out but was still dead. the other 2 were red looking and appeared to have the sack still on them but they did look really small like pre-mature.
I havent changed anything feed wise and havent wormed them latly so what is up with that? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do Or is that just something that happens?

Thanks in advance Steve

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I know these thing can and do happen. Are the does OK.

So sorry for your loss :hugs :hugs

Speedy94c

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok Thanks I will do some checking into it. I will call my vet tomorrow and see what she has to say.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If it's possible to save one of ea. fetus, they'll need it for tests.

The fully developed ones may have just been a 'bad mom', but w/ two abortions in 1 day...I'd lean toward Chlamydia, too.

Speedy94c

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So what measures do I need to do for this??? What causes the
Chlamydia??????????
I read that I could feed them terrimyson(spelling) Is that what I need to do?
I have 35-40 doe goats. The one that had the 2 that looked like premies I have had for a while the other one I bought 3 mos ago and she was already bread.

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would say chlamydia too. I had a first freshener miscarry a couple of weeks ago and I have 20 does bred so we are dosing them ALL with oxetetracyline right now to make sure no more have problems. We give 4.5 ml intramuscularly per 100lbs for 5-7 days. Hope they will be the only ones to have problems. Good luck.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they kidded at basically full-term with premature looking, small, hairless kids and a dark brown/reddish unusual, heavy discharge from the doe, you are likely looking at a chlamydia abortion storm. It's a bacterial infection that causes the placenta to not work right, so the kids do not get enough nourishment to grow correctly before birth. The pregnant doe often won't show any signs of being sick, so you may not know anything is wrong until you get a load of dead kids. I went through it last kidding season. It can be introduced into your herd when you purchase a new goat that is infected, breed to an outside animal that is infected, or by flies and birds.

If this is what you are seeing, you need to get them on a course of oxytetracycline, injectable used at 4.5 mL per 100 pounds for the number of days specified on the bottle. You will need to treat the ones who aborted, as well as any other goats that were exposed to the sick does, especially the other pregnant does (if you have any) and breeding bucks, as the buck can carry it and transfer it the next time he breeds. It would also be good to look into vaccinating those does who do not abort and all new does you put into the herd to prevent it in the future, there is a sheep vaccine available that can be used for goats. I have also seen it suggested to prevent these abortions by giving each doe a dose of oxytet at breeding and then again at 100 days of pregnancy, but I think it would be better to go with the vaccine if you choose to start a preventative plan. The good news is that those does who do abort are now immune to it and will not abort from the disease again.