Help me find the LGD breed/mix for me!

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Remember that Pyrenees are roamers. You will spend a lot of time chasing down the dog or retrieving it from neighbors as far as several miles away. With twin babies on the way, consider getting a collie pup as a playmate for the older one. They are trainable and you can show it. Since you only want protection for your chicken flock, I would suggest that you upgrade the fencing around the poultry yard, and roof over the enclosure instead of investing in a livestock guardian dog.
That is a really good point. The poultry yard is now very, very secure and they no longer free range every day. Maybe I’m just a worry wart. I just get really paranoid that something crazy will happen. Especially after the neighbors dog got one. Ok, maybe a collie would be best. I definitely can’t have a dog that just gets up and leaves on me lol. We have a 6 foot privacy fence in our “yard” and cattle fence around the cows and the woods, but I bet my money they could jump the cattle fence. The chickens are in the yard. Do you think one of them could jump the 6 foot wooden fence?

If so a collie would probably be the way to go. Or a miniature poodle perhaps? I just love poodles. Or even a show quality herder of some kind.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Anatolian temperament to the point where they are losing some of that hard courage to take a fight with a predator to the death. Anatolians that are consistent winners in the show ring are often on the road more than they are in the pasture.
That’s why I like the conformation shows that only have one dog in the ring at a time. (I think it’s more common in UKC) You can keep the true natural instincts and drive of your breed while still being a good, responsible breeder who does conformation and health testing, ect.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree that at this point another collie or poodle would fit your needs better. Both those breeds require a lot of fitting for showing. Poodles in particular are hard to groom for shows. They also need to have their show coat put up in "pony tails" to avoid ruining the coat. Unless you are a fiend for grooming and a fanatic about caring for a show coat, I would suggest that you stay with collies. Lots of grooming there too, but the coat requires less protection for the show ring. You also already have collies, and therefore probably have an in with a good breeder who could reserve you a top show pick puppy.

Looking forward to hearing about those twins.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For chickens that are in a secure coop and run, I agree with both of you. You don’t need a LGD, you do need a dog that will bark and warn predators away. Would you get a smooth coat collie or a rough coat?

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For chickens that are in a secure coop and run, I agree with both of you. You don’t need a LGD, you do need a dog that will bark and warn predators away. Would you get a smooth coat collie or a rough coat?
I absolutely adore smoothies. But our current breeder, Tapestry Collies only does rough coat. I her really wonderful things about Serać Collies, they do both coat types. I’ve actually spoken to Roxanne a few time. Wonderful lady! So I suppose I’m a bit torn between the 2. But most likely another rough. But those smooth ones… idk. I’m torn.

As for those chickens, like I said. I’m probably just paranoid. They are just so precious. And they make me a LOT Of money. Five bucks a dozen is really good money for eggs.
Looking forward to hearing about those twins.
I’m looking forward to meeting them! Doctor told me these 2 are the biggest twins he's ever seen! 36cm and 38cm! Good growth for these two, but it could mean early labor. :( No cramping and I'm not dilated, but I could soon. Almost 28 weeks!
Unless you are a fiend for grooming and a fanatic about caring for a show coat, I would suggest that you stay with collies. Lots of grooming there too, but the coat requires less protection for the show ring. You also already have collies, and therefore probably have an in with a good breeder who could reserve you a top show pick puppy.
I LOVE to groom. Our current young collie hates it and is very aggressive when we do it so she is sent to a professional who has more experience and more tools at hand than I do.

I’m not sure when Tapestry is having another litter, but I got first pick the last time as well! She’s a wonderful friend and mentor.

I have a “thing” for miniature poodles. They are small enough for my current grooming table (our collies definitely are not), they have the most striking faces, and I love experimenting with haircuts. I dyed our young collies tail once, but it’s just not the same. The pet safe dye is ready made for poodle coats so it didn’t last long on Rory. What can ya do? 🤷 My love affair with miniature poodles will probably never end 💕

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
The chickens are in the yard. Do you think one of them could jump the 6 foot wooden fence?
Are you worried about the chickens getting out over the fence or dogs getting in? Regular chickens can fly and roost in the trees. I started clipping flight feathers on my flock in Iowa after I lost the second one to an owl. Clipping flight feathers is like clipping human toenails- doesn't hurt unless you go too short.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are you worried about the chickens getting out over the fence or dogs getting in? Regular chickens can fly and roost in the trees. I started clipping flight feathers on my flock in Iowa after I lost the second one to an owl. Clipping flight feathers is like clipping human toenails- doesn't hurt unless you go too short.
No no. The dog (GP) jumping a 6 foot fence, the chickens that aren’t for show have clipped wings.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to meeting them! Doctor told me these 2 are the biggest twins he's ever seen! 36cm and 38cm! Good growth for these two, but it could mean early labor. :( No cramping and I'm not dilated, but I could soon. Almost 28 weeks!
From the way things are going we could be meeting these 2 sooner than expected. I post more about it on my SS journal than I do here but I'm currently in the hospital due to some long-term cramping that started yesterday. Trying to keep these 2 in as long as humanly possible. I'm trying so hard to go against my instinct to push. :fl:fl

Latest posts