Help me out here...bottle jaw.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So our LaMancha had a minor case of bottle jaw. Overnight her eyelids went white. No other symptoms. Milk production is/was the same, everything. Wormed with Cydectin twice a week apart, both times improved within 24 hours, but always comes back next day late afternoon after grazing. Still no other symptoms.

We are also using herbal wormer and for the last week giving her oral iron.

We are going to get a fecal this week.

Anything I'm missing? I have Valbazen I can try too. I hate to keep giving her Cydectin if its not working.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/sheepgirls-2014-lambing-thread.27030/page-15#post-366357

Here is a picture of my ewe with bottle jaw and her eyelids. She just turned 8 years old two weeks ago and this is the very first time she's been dewormed. She is very thin, and I turned her out onto short green grass so I'm not surprised she picked up parasites.

I found some dewormer in the feed shack and I gave her privermectin (I think it's 0.08% ivermectin?), about 23 cc which is good for a 200 lb animal. But she probably weighs 120-130. Keep in mind the dewormer expired at least 2-3 years ago. However a day or two later, the bottle jaw went away and her eyelid color has returned.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Score! The breeder (now friend) we got out Nigerian from called and wanted to buy a milk stand. Since she was coming to pick it up I asked if she could run a fecal for us. (She does her own.) Both does I tested- the one in question and our other one who's eyelids were paler than they should be- had a heavy Barberpole worm load. So, we are trying Valbazen.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, Valbazen would be my next choice also. In E. TN, Ivomec quit working years ago. Now, Cydectin is starting not to work. I have gone to using Cydectin And Valbazen along with B-12 injections, Nutri-Drench liquid vitamin, and Copasure which is copper wire capsules used to help combat internal parasites. The Copasure is given every 6 mo. Be careful using Valbazen it can cause either birth defects or outright spontaneous abortions for does in their 1st 45 days of pregnancy. This is our deworming regimen for our twice yearly deworming of our goats. I should add a disclaimer that we use the FAMACHA method of deworming and so not every goat gets/ needs a dewormer treatment. We have about 80% of our herd that has not needed deworming in over 18 months or hooves trimmed. Every goat gets the copper capsule treatment every 6 months and the Nutri-Drench and a B-12 inj. This is what works for Us at Calfee Farms and depending on your breed of goat, geographical location, and stocking rate, modification to our system may be needed in order to achieve our results. I also just about forgot to mention that we practice rigorous pasture rotation schedule.

Last edited:

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have had to go to Prohibit around here. Unfortunately it is the wormer of last resort. Good thing are goats are fairly worm resistant and we rotate regularly. We had trouble last year but have culled several does and increased the rotation schedule in response.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, the Valbazen worked. Yay!
Since they were almost due for their copper I gave them that too. I wormed anyone that was borderline anemic. Now I'm being extra vigilant watching everybody else and keeping up on the herbal wormer.

The doe that had the bottle jaw is feeding twin bucklings and giving me 5+c. of milk once a day as a first freshener, so I think her body is just probably weaker right now.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, the Valbazen worked. Yay!
Since they were almost due for their copper I gave them that too. I wormed anyone that was borderline anemic. Now I'm being extra vigilant watching everybody else and keeping up on the herbal wormer.

The doe that had the bottle jaw is feeding twin bucklings and giving me 5+c. of milk once a day as a first freshener, so I think her body is just probably weaker right now.
Glad she's doing well!
:clap