Help! My 2 1/2 month old billy has bad scours!

billyandtimmyplace

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Buckley, my 2 1/2 month old billy boar goat has bad scours. He was fine at 7pm last night, but this morning about 7am we checked on him and the other goats and he had scours all over the backside of him and on the bedding. The other goats are fine. We have 2 other wethers in the same pen as him and 6 girls (the same age) in the pen next to him.

I do not know what I should be doing for him since he is not a newborn. He has not had access to grass since Sunday night due to all the rain in western missouri. It has stopped raining for now but the forecast is for more rain the next couple of days. He has hay in a feeder and water.

Is there anything I should be doing? I am new to keeping goats and very concerned about him.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My guess would be coccidia. I would get DiMethox 40% and start him on that right away. Give orally at 1cc per 5 lbs the first day and then 1cc per 10 lbs for the next 4 days after that.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
either take a fecal in to a vet this morning, or start treating him, "TODAY."

sulfa-dimethoxine is your best bet, but if you can't find it, I would get whatever your feed store has, or get a vet to give you a treatment.

Corid, Sulmet or Albon all will work. I beleive Albon is a RX from the vet.

none of them will say for goats, they will say they are for chickens and cattle. I give them the strongest dosage that is recommended on the bottle for cattle for the 5 day treatment dosage.

Corid comes in premixed liquid or a powder.

You can also get him Spectam scour gaurd for pigs, it is red colored liquid. works well for bacterial scours, but you still need to treat with a medication for coccidiosis.

Also at 2 1/2 months worms could be a problem, so I would consider a general wormer like safeguard or valbazene, along with the other treatments.

Unless you do a fecal right away, all you are pretty much left with is the shotgun approach, and treat with a couple different things.

billyandtimmyplace

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been suspecting worms for a couple of days now. His stomach has been getting bloated and he has not been as interested in food. If it were to be worms is the treatment the same or do I need to try to worm him while he is scouring?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Treatment with DiMethox is the same. You could also give him Safeguard (liquid) at 1cc per 10 lbs once a day for 3 days. Then you are covering more than coccidia if you don't want to take a fecal to the vet. You can find small bottles of Safeguard that are labeled for goats at TSC but the dosage is incorrect on the bottle. The 1cc per 10 lbs is the correct dosage.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
treatment for coccidiosis is a separate treatment from other types of worms that he may have, The Sulfa-dimethoxine, albon, sulmet or Corid only treat for the coccidiosis.

In addition to the coccidiosis treatment you will want to also do a parasite treatment with safeguard, like ksalvagno suggested, or valbazene. Although there are other options besides those two. they will treat for you more traditional types of internal worms.

You can give all the treatments at the same time.

coccidiosis is treated for 5 days in a row and depending on the other wormer you choose to do, may be 1 to 3 days of treatment.

Safeguard comes in a small 125ml bottle for a little under $20, making it a good option if you only have a couple goats. Safeguard is known as Panacur for horses.

Hope that makes sense.

For a severally scouring kid

I often,
give them a dose of sulfa-dimthoxine, orally
a dose of wormer(valbazene or synanthic), orally
a dose of spectam scour guard, orally.
and a penn G shot
all at the same time.

I do all of them twice a day except the wormer.
I just do the wormer one time, although you can give the valbazene wormer for 3 days in a row for tapeworm treatment.

billyandtimmyplace

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you both! This has been very helpful to us. :)
We are headed to the store right now to get treatment for him, and wormer for everyone.
We were also wondering if he had to be separated, or if he isn't contagious?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
billyandtimmyplace said:
We are headed to the store right now to get treatment for him, and wormer for everyone.
I don't separate mine, but technically he is contaminating the bedding and barn with higher counts of coccidiosis or worms.

billyandtimmyplace

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
billyandtimmyplace said:
I don't separate mine, but technically he is contaminating the bedding and barn with higher counts of coccidiosis or worms.
I am glad we don't have to separate them, because we don't have anywhere else to put him!
also, how use Corid? do we pour or down the mouth?
We bought Corid and safeguard. Is that enough?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
billyandtimmyplace said:
20kidsonhill said:
billyandtimmyplace said:
I am glad we don't have to separate them, because we don't have anywhere else to put him!
also, how use Corid? do we pour or down the mouth?
We bought Corid and safeguard. Is that enough?
That should work.

Yes, you want to drench them with it , or pour it down their throat, using a syringe with no needle, or some type of drenching device. get it back in their mouth and drip it in, so they swallow it.

Safeguard would be 3 x the label dosage for 3 days, or like mentioned 1 cc per 10 lbs.

and the corid dosage that I use is .5 cc (1/2cc) per every 10 lbs of goat and I give it twice a day for 5 days. The safeguard I do one time a day.

If the kid starts acting lethargic or weak legged, discontinue the corid, it can cause a thiamin deficiency. Although I have never had problems with it and have used corid on and off for years.

good luck. If you don't have much experience with drenching it isn't easy.

If you don't think you got enough in him, I would give more, both medications have a high safety margin for overdosing.