Help...my preg goats have lice!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...I just got in at 3:09 pm...from working my tukuss off all day in the barn..getting everything up...cleaned right right down to the cherry hard wood..ugh was that hard!! The straw definitely lifted up more like a carpet once I got my fork under It...got everything sprayed..,gave the girls their shots..doing the DE after lunch..I was starving..lol...came in and made my sea 4 pulle egg omelette...yumm.. thank you all for all the help with the guidance...and I’m sure my girls will be happier too! I took the opportunity to trim hooves.. an..I had them on there one month ago..Stormy’s were awful! Geez! Going to have to watch hers! But, her udder bag is looking sooo nice...plus, both of them, are just so lazy. Getting closer! :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a trio of pigs that had lice. I saw these crawling things on one of the pigs and freaked out. These were Red Wattle hogs and there was no way they would stand still for an injection. They were used to me tossing treats over the fence to them, so I make them an ivermectin treat.

I bought apple flavored horse ivermectin at Tractor Supply. I bought white bread-I never buy it, we like the whole wheat bread. I cut the crust off 3 white bread slices. I squirted out some of the ivermectin on half of a slice of bread, folded it over and mashed the edges together. It made a little pillow. LOL I tossed bread to the pigs, they could smell the apple flavored ivermectin and they were going crazy! I tossed each of them an ivermectin bread treat and they gobbled it down. I repeated it in 10 days, then again in 10 days.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok. I gave the girls the ivermectin and cleaned the barn like crazy and sprayed with permethrin. I didn’t do the DE as I ran out of steam and then got a bit of a head cold. That was all Thursday. They are still nibbling. Does that mean the shot didn’t work. My cleaning wasn’t good enough. Both. Or. They have the sucking lice. I believe.....that there is nothing I can do for those?? Is it just too soon to know if my shot and work is killing everything? I really hope it is not the sucking lice

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did everything, and the lice didn’t really seem to go away. I was very concerned. We went to TS and bought some powder...basically a permethrin powder that you apply in a sock. But then they kidded. And, I haven’t seen them nibble since. But, when we were at TS I bought stuff for the kids, since I read they will get lice too. When do I give that to them?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you actually still seen the lice or are you assuming based off their actions? I only ask because we have a cat who after getting flea treatment will itch for days from bites she actually allergic to them she loose hair and everything from a few bits she stays on flea medication for good reason

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IF they're not sucking lice, the ivermectin injection will do nothing. Also have to do another shot in 7 days if they are sucking lice, for any eggs that hatch. Yes, the lice can transfer to the kids. I would check momma goats over and see if the lice are still alive.

I do not have sheep. There's this great group on facebook. it's called "Goat Vet Corner" only vets are allowed to answer questions. They have files on A LOT of topics that you can look through. All the files are from Vets. I went on that site and the vet states that for Ivermectin 1% injection for sheep is the same. 1CC per 100lbs.

Thankfully I have only dealt with lice in the winter on a couple young kids i purchased. Since they were young, I just bathed them with the permethrin. Then kept them in the house.
Knowing what kind of lice you're dealing with makes it easier to kill them. Sucking lice will be killed with the injection. Biting lice will not. You would need either the permethrin bath or dusting powder. I personally do not like the dusting powder as it severely irritated my animals skin (it was bright red). We used it once and never used it again.

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We always use a pour on Eprinex or Cylence, even in the winter. You don't have to use that much, so it's no problem. It's safe for milking does and kids. Ivermectin never worked for lice or mites for us. Hope you can get it under control! Lice and mites are no fun and always hit hardest in the winter. Another reason we shave the goats when it gets warmer...the mites are killed when they go out in the sun.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok everyone...I’m going to check the moms, as best I can in a bit. ive seen a couple kids nibble, but...it could be at nothing. I just don’t want it to get out of control.