HELP my rabbit just had babies

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The doe will blow her own fur into the straw to create a nest. If you haven’t already, remove the buck. Bucks can, and will breed the doe again one day after she kindles. So, she would have another litter around 23 days later.

Ummmmmm.:hide I'm sorry, but there is so much not quite correct about this post.

The expression "to blow the coat" refers to the natural shedding and replacement of the hair coat, not fur pulling for nest making.

Does can rebreed within minutes of kindling. I currently have a young rabbit that is the result of a mating that must have occurred within an hour after a litter was born, since the buck was removed as soon as the litter was discovered, and there were warm, live babies on the wire at that time.

The gestation period of rabbits is 31 days, plus or minus a couple of days. I assume that "23" is a typo, but just in case anyone who doesn't know otherwise reads this post, it probably ought to be noted.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bunnylady is correct on days of gestation. 30-31 days from breeding to kindling. I like to put the box in 3 days ahead of the due date, and keep it in for about 4 days after the 31 days since some years I had all litters 28 days after breeding and another year 33 days after breeding. All the kindling does in the barn did this same schedule those years. Very strange! Again Bunnylady is right, the doe does not shed her fur into the nest box but very carefully pulls mouthful of hair out of her belly and chest when making her nest. Some does don't pull much fur, and others are completely nude underneath. If there is a lot of hair in the box and the weather is hot, I gather some of it and save it in Ziplock bags for those times when another doe does not pull much and the weather is very cold.

Does do breed back immediately given the chance. The first 3 days after kindling the doe is most receptive to the buck. If I have a doe that does not have a surviving litter, I immediately breed her back. If a doe only kindles 1 or 2 kits, I will foster to another new mother and rebreed the doe. I practiced production breeding when we were raising semi commercially. I would rebreed the mama when the kits were 30 days old, then remove the doe into an adjacent cage a week before she was due to kindle again. With production breeding you have to raise the protein level of the feed you use. I used an 18% protein feed with oats, sunflower seeds, calf manna and barleycorn mixed together for an additional supplement for the does. The bucks only got oats ad if they were showing, a small amount of the supplement but without the calf manna. I continued the calf manna mix for the weaning kits.

So, if you want bunnies, I would put the doe in with the buck now. If she is not receptive, growls or kicks at him, remove him and figure you will have a new litter 30 days from when the first litter was born. If he hops on top, she lifts her butt a little and then he suddenly falls over, he has bred her again. Remove him from the cage and keep him separate. Only put him with her when you want to breed them for bunnies. This time, get a wooden nest box without a top, put a 2-3" layer of pine shavings in the bottom and then stuff it with straw. Put it in her cage several days before the due date on your calendar. Make sure you do NOT put the nest box over the place in the cage where they like to potty. You don't want her to use the box as a toilet. The doe will burrow into the straw, possibly carry pieces of straw around the cage and make herself a nest. If she wants to make a next in a corner of the cage where you did not put the box, move the box into her chosen corner and put her nest materials back into the nest box.

You didn't say what breed the bunnies are. Nest boxes come in different sizes. I would get the larger size since a small rabbit can kindle in a large box, but a large rabbit can't kindle in a small one. If you or someone in yiur family os handy with tools, you can make a nest box from 3/8" plywood.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bunnylady is correct on days of gestation. 30-31 days from breeding to kindling. I like to put the box in 3 days ahead of the due date, and keep it in for about 4 days after the 31 days since some years I had all litters 28 days after breeding and another year 33 days after breeding. All the kindling does in the barn did this same schedule those years. Very strange! Again Bunnylady is right, the doe does not shed her fur into the nest box but very carefully pulls mouthful of hair out of her belly and chest when making her nest. Some does don't pull much fur, and others are completely nude underneath. If there is a lot of hair in the box and the weather is hot, I gather some of it and save it in Ziplock bags for those times when another doe does not pull much and the weather is very cold.

Does do breed back immediately given the chance. The first 3 days after kindling the doe is most receptive to the buck. If I have a doe that does not have a surviving litter, I immediately breed her back. If a doe only kindles 1 or 2 kits, I will foster to another new mother and rebreed the doe. I practiced production breeding when we were raising semi commercially. I would rebreed the mama when the kits were 30 days old, then remove the doe into an adjacent cage a week before she was due to kindle again. With production breeding you have to raise the protein level of the feed you use. I used an 18% protein feed with oats, sunflower seeds, calf manna and barleycorn mixed together for an additional supplement for the does. The bucks only got oats ad if they were showing, a small amount of the supplement but without the calf manna. I continued the calf manna mix for the weaning kits.

So, if you want bunnies, I would put the doe in with the buck now. If she is not receptive, growls or kicks at him, remove him and figure you will have a new litter 30 days from when the first litter was born. If he hops on top, she lifts her butt a little and then he suddenly falls over, he has bred her again. Remove him from the cage and keep him separate. Only put him with her when you want to breed them for bunnies. This time, get a wooden nest box without a top, put a 2-3" layer of pine shavings in the bottom and then stuff it with straw. Put it in her cage several days before the due date on your calendar. Make sure you do NOT put the nest box over the place in the cage where they like to potty. You don't want her to use the box as a toilet. The doe will burrow into the straw, possibly carry pieces of straw around the cage and make herself a nest. If she wants to make a next in a corner of the cage where you did not put the box, move the box into her chosen corner and put her nest materials back into the nest box.

You didn't say what breed the bunnies are. Nest boxes come in different sizes. I would get the larger size since a small rabbit can kindle in a large box, but a large rabbit can't kindle in a small one. If you or someone in yiur family os handy with tools, you can make a nest box from 3/8" plywood.
:thumbsupi concur

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you again for all of the responses. My doe is New Zealand/Californian & my buck is Flemish/New Zealand, very big rabbits. I bought a nest box from the feed store, I’m prepared this time around. Just gonna wait till the 29th & see if she has babies.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are ready for a positive experience! Easiest way to check for a litter is when you see the fur feathered up over the nest looking like cotton candy, just casually reach one finger into the center of the fur. If you have bunnies, it will be warm. If the kits have not arrived yet, naturally no warmth.

Once you know that kits are in the nest, don't be afraid to check the bunnies each day to pull out any dead ones. Occasionally one will happen. I take the box out so the mom will not be upset as I go through the next. I like to di this every day for the first few days to make sure they are doing well. You will seldom see the mom in the box nursing her
kits.
You are in for a fun time! Baby bunnies when their eyes open and they start climbing out of the nest are so cute! :love

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like you are ready for a positive experience! Easiest way to check for a litter is when you see the fur feathered up over the nest looking like cotton candy, just casually reach one finger into the center of the fur. If you have bunnies, it will be warm. If the kits have not arrived yet, naturally no warmth.

Once you know that kits are in the nest, don't be afraid to check the bunnies each day to pull out any dead ones. Occasionally one will happen. I take the box out so the mom will not be upset as I go through the next. I like to di this every day for the first few days to make sure they are doing well. You will seldom see the mom in the box nursing her
kits.
You are in for a fun time! Baby bunnies when their eyes open and they start climbing out of the nest are so cute! :love

Thank you for your response. Yes, I’m ready for a positive bunny experience! I also worry about her stepping on her kits, going in & out of the nest box. Does this happen a lot? Just wondering...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only if something startles her into jumping into the box. Then you might hear indignant squeaking from the kits, but usually no damage is done I have had kits hang onto the teats and get pulled out of the box when mom jumped out. Just check the cage night and morning and stick any kits back in the box until their eyes open. Remember that the doe will not move her babies like a dog or cat will.

You should do fine this time around. She is experienced, you are experienced, you have a proper nest box, the buck is in another cage, and all will be fine. Relax and enjoy.

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Only if something startles her into jumping into the box. Then you might hear indignant squeaking from the kits, but usually no damage is done I have had kits hang onto the teats and get pulled out of the box when mom jumped out. Just check the cage night and morning and stick any kits back in the box until their eyes open. Remember that the doe will not move her babies like a dog or cat will.

You should do fine this time around. She is experienced, you are experienced, you have a proper nest box, the buck is in another cage, and all will be fine. Relax and enjoy.

Thank you for this positive & encouraging reply. My fingers are crossed. Expected date is the 29th/30th if she’s pregnant...