Hera's Story

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW, you can use the permethrin fly spray for horses on their ears and head (cover the eyes) and it helps to keep flies off. I used it on the sheep when they lambed in the summer to keep flies off the in the jugs. I just bought some that is supposed to be for horses, cattle sheep, goats, etc.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So Hera's ear flaps resolved quickly after spraying. She now has a massive spot on her head. It was quarter sized last night and I guess she spent all day rubbing it. Hubby held her while I cleaned and disinfected, trimmed hair short and applied silver spray. Here's hoping it stays same or improves tomorrow. Friday is payday and I will take afternoon off for vet trip if it's not better.
P_20240605_190518.jpg
P_20240605_191532.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ouch! Poor Hera. I would think the silver spray would help some. 🤞 it does.
So question @farmerjan - with the aluminum spray what's the difference between that and blu-kote? I should go read the labels as I've got both now. Always rather be prepared.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The aluminum spray actually provides a "waterproof type barrier".... that is the go to for most of the vets here for foot problems with cattle...that can do without wraps, they use that spray. Blu-kote does not do the waterproof barrier very well I don't think. I always used the blu-kote before I knew about the aluminum spray many years later. Blu-kote is more like a "drying agent" with some antibacterial effects... good for things like drying up things like ringworm....whatever wound needs to "dry up".... the aluminum bandage keeps more of environmental irritants out... I think it is used more with some wound dressings so that they don't get things like infective agents into the wound... doesn't "dry it out" the same way...

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@SageHill Blue-Kote is germicidal and antifungal. It contains gentian violet and acriflavine. Gentian violet is antiseptic/ antifungal/ turn you purple. Acriflavine is antibacterial. Gentian violet is POISONOUS to cats.

Silver spray is just a bandage to keep wound clean while letting it breathe. It also apparently tastes bad to flies. I'm hoping that letting it dry out will decrease itching so she stops making it worse.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@SageHill Blue-Kote is germicidal and antifungal. It contains gentian violet and acriflavine. Gentian violet is antiseptic/ antifungal/ turn you purple. Acriflavine is antibacterial. Gentian violet is POISONOUS to cats.

Silver spray is just a bandage to keep wound clean while letting it breathe. It also apparently tastes bad to flies. I'm hoping that letting it dry out will decrease itching so she stops making it worse.
Better explanation than mine!!!