Hi from Tn!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from another Tennessean. We aren't raising any rabbits but look forward to reading about your adventure with them.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Indiana!
There's a lot of good meat rabbit breeds that are in a similar weight class of large.
I am trying to remember, but believe the range is 8-12 pounds.

The giant breeds do end up in huge rabbits, but at the younger processing weight, aren't much different in size than the true meat breeds. They all have a pretty similar taste and it is based on feed.

Two real familiar meat breeds are your New Zealand Whites and Californians.
A lot think they make a great cross for developing your breeding herd.
New Zealands are also in black, red, and broken pattern, but to get a cleaner carcass, white is preferred.

Hope that gets you started a little beyond just considering, and lots of rabbit folks on here.
Welcome to the site!

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome from Indiana!
There's a lot of good meat rabbit breeds that are in a similar weight class of large.
I am trying to remember, but believe the range is 8-12 pounds.

The giant breeds do end up in huge rabbits, but at the younger processing weight, aren't much different in size than the true meat breeds. They all have a pretty similar taste and it is based on feed.

Two real familiar meat breeds are your New Zealand Whites and Californians.
A lot think they make a great cross for developing your breeding herd.
New Zealands are also in black, red, and broken pattern, but to get a cleaner carcass, white is preferred.

Hope that gets you started a little beyond just considering, and lots of rabbit folks on here.
Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the info. Once I get some more cages built I will start looking for some Californians and NZs! I think the Californians are such pretty rabbits.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a lot easier processing the all white ones that have less character.
The more colors and cuteness, the more you notice that specific bunny, and it gets more attention and character.
They lose the fur ball cuteness at around 5 or 6 weeks, get a little more stretched out and more timid by 10 weeks when they should be up to the 5lb. mark. It is easier if you haven't gotten attached, just feed em and handle em decent, and don't play with your food!

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is a lot easier processing the all white ones that have less character.
The more colors and cuteness, the more you notice that specific bunny, and it gets more attention and character.
They lose the fur ball cuteness at around 5 or 6 weeks, get a little more stretched out and more timid by 10 weeks when they should be up to the 5lb. mark. It is easier if you haven't gotten attached, just feed em and handle em decent, and don't play with your food!

I should go that route then because I get rather attached to animals.
"And don't play with your food!" I love it! I will definitely keep that in mind!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! If you'd be wiling to share some pics, we'd all be appreciative. We all love pictures. Make yourself at home and browse around. There's lots of good info shared in the threads.