Hi!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
congrats now you know where solid ground is.an how much work it takes to get there.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Thanks folks!!!
I have found found ground in both pens!

The area right in front of the feeders, is still wet and slimy. I'm not sure how deep dad dug it out these past years, so I just keep scraping, let it dry, scrap, let it dry, you get the picture!

Farmer Kitty,
You mentioned pine shavings in the other thread. Any reason I should avoid cedar or fir?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:clap

No, I guess it's just what is more common here so, I'm not familiar with the cedar or fir. I do know that the pine is really absorbent and the hardwood isn't so I avoid hardwood.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Ok, Hubby is on the search for bedding!
I just learned recently that your not supposed to use cedar for chickens, just wondering of I missed something about not using it for cows too!

I was told to measure the gutter drain pipes today! Hubby "might" bring home a little excavator this weekend!
We'll see, it is still hunting season!
Now I have to figure out where HE left MY tape measurer

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like things are moving right along.

I'm not sure where you are at as to whether or not you have logging industry by you but, here we have the yard where they cut trees into lumber. They will sell it in bulk. We don't use it in that kind of bulk so DH buys it from the feedmill in bags. The farm supply stores have it too.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
My farm is surrounded by logging, but it's all in tree form!
I'm not sure where the mills are!

Hubby has a buddy with a tree service, sometimes I can get loads of those chips delivered for free!
He is also talking about borrowing one of the guys chippers!
Another one of my "projects", is land clearing! I spend most of my winter, picking up sticks, logs, pulling stumps and burning them! I guess he feels if I have a chipper, I could put some of that to use?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nice barn, thewife! I'm jealous!

Where do you live? Your hills look sort of like my surroundings (I'm in Tenino, WA)...and my DH is actually a logger...I can see Weyerhaueser's Vail Tree Farm (a part of it anyway) from my back yard and pasture.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Hi Amy!!!
I've been meaning to stop by the Washington thread and introduce my self to you!
If your Hubby logs or hunts in the Vail tree farm, from the main Vail gate, he has probably driven by this place a million times!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, wow! You ARE close by! He's currently logging out in South Bend for the next week or so, but his next job is back on the farm, and yes, he'll be going through the Vail gate! He may hunt up there, too, not sure. (So far he hasn't had any luck through any of the gates closer to home.)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Amy!

If your Hubby has been through that gate, he knows where I'm at!!
Deer numbers at the Vail check station were really sad opening weekend. It's either the weather or the big kitty population.
Does your Hubby work for Weyerhaueser, out of Vail? My BIL does, I don't really care to much for his wife(my sister), so I avoid them!