High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The listing I saw was in Logan. I know there are others since I've met folks from Utah but didn't keep any contact info since there was no reason at the time.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just did a quick search on Facebook for "Katahdin Utah" and got quite a few hits. There are numerous pages that I'm on like Katahdin Sheep Producers to name one that is pretty active. There are a lot of buy and sale posts.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Really? I knew all sorts of folks in Logan while I was going to school up there and never did meet anyone who raised hair sheep. Course most of the folks I knew were horse and cattle people.

Last edited:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how she’d feel about multiples. A young ram lamb will fit in a large dog crate. From here to Logan is about 4.5-5 hrs going 85 the whole way (gotta love I-15). If I went it’d be in my 93 Chevy 1 ton dually and with it being geared to tow I’d probably average about 60mph the whole way, making that a very, very long day. I love my old IDI diesel and I know it’ll haul just about anything, it’s just not going to do it very fast.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
9292E2B4-B30E-4AA8-A540-C73486483742.jpeg

So I’m trying to figure out the best place to put a sheep corral. The house faces north with a garage and tack shed to the south. The property line is in green. Current fencing is in yellow, the small one just north is for ducks and to the south is the horses. Blue is where I’ve though of putting it, but my wife complains that in front of the house looks bad. My other option is the white in back, shifting around the horse corral so they’re side by side. There’s no one to the north besides cattle and sheep, but just south of me is my neighbor with those two killer dogs and behind that is BLM with plenty of coyotes. But it’s closer to the garage where I can put lambing ewes if needs be. Of course the marks aren’t really to scale, but the best I can do with a smartphone and a big finger. I really wish when they built this place he hadn’t put it smack in the middle I feel like with the DWs reasoning I essentially lose half the property

Attachments

• CEDB28F1-B8B4-4F1A-93CD-254E5B5DC589.jpeg
    CEDB28F1-B8B4-4F1A-93CD-254E5B5DC589.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 58

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing against DW's esthetic opinion of course, but if I had to look out on that barren landscape, I wouldn't at all mind seeing livestock out there ;)

Esthetics aside, I would imagine being even a small distance farther from the neighbor's dogs and the BLM coyotes couldn't hurt. Is there any question related to ease of watering the stock in the north vs the south? Would you need to bury a water line where you might already have one for the horses to the south? And if you do need to move them to the south for lambing (or other reasons), would you be putting in a fenced lane?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With water there’s a spigot on the north side by the ducks, on the south side of the house and a frost free just south of my tack shed, farthest to the south. Putting in a lane could prove complicated. I liked the idea of more space between livestock and those dogs, also I didn’t want them so close to my dogs just north of the garage because that would probably drive them batty having sheep that close and not being able to get to them. Probably if I ever moved them south from the north I’d put a catch pen between the tack shed and garage and move them with some help to there. I really wish my neighbors hadn’t bought that lot behind me, it really throws everything off.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, neighbors can sometimes be a pain, even when you have a 10 acre lot. It isn't your neighbors who are the problem but the dogs they chose to get, right? That and apparently they don't seem to think they have an obligation to keep their dogs on their property??