High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The San Fernando Valley (where Reseda is located) hasn't had wells since the 30's or so when Mulholland and his cronies worked the water deal bringing water from the Owens Valley in the eastern Sierras. The city then claimed all water rights and made everyone cap their wells.

We still can get bacon and eggs here. However, I don't remember whether or not it passed, but there was a measure n the last ballot requiring all eggs sold to come from free range chickens instead of battery chickens. It was some kind of animal rights thing. Egg prices will be untouchable in 2020. I also saw on the news that in 2020 we will be required to put solar on all the new homes and possibly install it when you buy a home. That wasn't too clear. What is clear is that we are being regulated, taxed, and priced out of California. The only people living here in 20 years will be welfare people, homeless, illegals, and Oh Yes, the politicians and movie stars who are living the good life in their walled estates.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
The San Fernando Valley (where Reseda is located) hasn't had wells since the 30's or so when Mulholland and his cronies worked the water deal bringing water from the Owens Valley in the eastern Sierras. The city then claimed all water rights and made everyone cap their wells.

We still can get bacon and eggs here. However, I don't remember whether or not it passed, but there was a measure n the last ballot requiring all eggs sold to come from free range chickens instead of battery chickens. It was some kind of animal rights thing. Egg prices will be untouchable in 2020. I also saw on the news that in 2020 we will be required to put solar on all the new homes and possibly install it when you buy a home. That wasn't too clear. What is clear is that we are being regulated, taxed, and priced out of California. The only people living here in 20 years will be welfare people, homeless, illegals, and Oh Yes, the politicians and movie stars who are living the good life in their walled estates.

I was going to post a big ol' rant about some things but thought I better not do that on HDC's thread. :) Those laws on "free range" are very vague<sp>. In some places what is considered free range is just the chickens ability to poke its head out a hole and see the sky. Doesnt mean the chicken gets to run around in the sun. Personally, Im glad your getting out of there. Sounds like CA will be for the rich, poor, and illegal someday.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Point taken - this regulation was to allow chickens to wander in a field since the last regulations allowing them 9 sf per chicken was apparently too small.

Speaking of "free range" has anyone seen the ad selling chickens that are purported to be raised naturally in a field? After showing acres of ground with abut 12 chickens in a fenced pasture, the blurb comes up saying these free range chickens being raised on a "vegetarian diet"! :lol:

Apparently there are no bugs in that pristine green pasture for those vegetarian chickens to eat! Who writes these things? Must be the same people who think that chickens can only be happy and healthy in a large field. I wonder if they feel any compassion for the chicken farmers they are forcing out of business. On the other hand, the coyote population must be thrilled!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeh, they never show what is inside those big white buildings they are walking next to......:lol:.....tho, they are targeting the "brain dead" that can't think for theirself and believe everything that they are taught.....global climate change and junk science....just simply amazing, ain't it?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was referring to your prop 12 that did pass. It applies to chickens, veal calves and pigs. All sows are required to have 20 square feet available. Most folks are still using gestation crates, we swapped to pen gestation but that’s going to hurt a lot of people. And it’s gonna jack the price of eggs and pork products higher in the state. Guess either spend more money on real food or enjoy your scrambled kale and soy bacon

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still no takers for cowboy. I’m debating if I should haul him to the auction or just harvest him myself. Probably really not worth the time to take one lamb and I’m not out much if I keep him.
In the meantime I’m stuck on my couch for a while. After a week of coughing hacking and wheezing my wife made me go to a doctor. Pneumonia. Apparently this pushing through and figuring it would resolve itself in a few days was a poor decision. My wife has stepped up and taken on all the chores while all I can do is lay here worrying she’s doing it right. My New Years resolution is not having so many health issues in 2019. I’m too young for this