Homeschooling

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay for future reference there are some things i like about masterbooks and some things don't. Pros its easy to use, lucy enjoys the store part
Cons are its to easy she gets the three main books done in 30 minutes if we just do their lesson plan for that day of she does three days worth in all three books its about a 2 hrs or less she gets them done. On Fridays there is also science which is slow for her because we live on a farm and its not as in-depth of a lesson as i would like. The other issue i have with it then story explains it some but i would like it to be more instructive i guess them what it is. I would also like it to be abit more challenging for her we going to probably finish it early and try another curriculum. We did get some free math books from albeka so i do have next year's math for lucy for 3-4 th grade and also have boys math for kindergaten and 1st grade. So just need english-work history and science. Oh and the history is some interesting she has a hard time remembering any of it. Need to work on that. But you read about a page or two worth on the first day about the place second day you read some more answer a question day three is a crossword day for you color a flag and day five is an oral review. She doesn't seem to remember hardly anything if anything about what we read about. I do think they did a good job it's just thre right fit for us. So as i would recommend it for a child who struggles sitting still to do work or for a child who having a hard time and is a hands on learner as it does have hands one activity for them to use especially in math, they also use alot of note cards. So that's my thought so far.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So as you all know i had some complaints for the master books and i am currently debating on what to do. I talked to my sister(in christ) and also my dd1 about this. Dd1 says she wants to have me make the school work again because it's harder and she likes it better. Sister said that I could adjust the material to suit out needs and they both right. So i am leaning towards making a mix of all the current book a i have and online access. I think I am a bit disappointed as i hoped to be some what lazy and not have to do some much work to make it as i did before...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So as you all know i had some complaints for the master books and i am currently debating on what to do. I talked to my sister(in christ) and also my dd1 about this. Dd1 says she wants to have me make the school work again because it's harder and she likes it better. Sister said that I could adjust the material to suit out needs and they both right. So i am leaning towards making a mix of all the current book a i have and online access. I think I am a bit disappointed as i hoped to be some what lazy and not have to do some much work to make it as i did before...
Maybe look into a different, harder curriculum later next year. It's definitely easier with premade curriculum

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mom homeschooled my brother a loooong time ago(he is turning 30 thie month) and she used one called Acer if i recall correctly.

My sister homeschools her 5 kids, she has used quite a few of the programs, for about 3yrs her church had a homeschoolers...school?? All the kids who homeschooled from the church would go 4 days a week for 4hrs and be taught by the church family. Gave the parents a break and also introduced the kids to other peoples styles of teaching which helped a lot. Sadly the school couldnt keep running because they couldnt keep up with the building they had as they only had about 15 kids. Also the homeschooling classes at the church school really helped with their social skills and ability to relate to people not in their family which they were struggling with a bit.

So my sister went back to all homeschool but found shortly after the older kids were very very bored with it. They had went from other kids and "fun" to back at home full time. She ended up going to k-12 the free online schooling, and just adding in the religious lessons/sort of like kids bible study on the side. They also go to church 3 times a week and do saturday soul winning so they do get a lot of religion outside of their school work and lessons in sunday school.

My sister is much happier with the new program and was telling me it is sooo much nicer then the other programs offered for homeschoolers and seemed more detailed/harder then several others. She was frustrated with several of the first ones she tried because she said they were very very slow/easy and the kids would fight back all the time because they were bored and not learning enough. So she did what you did and tried to make her own add-in lessons but that was taking her many many hours a week.

I'm not religious however I was once, so i asked her if she had any problems with K-12 because it wasnt creationism? She said no not at all. She wants her kids to know and learn both schools of thought so as young adults they can pick which they would rather follow as she did. Myself and my sister were not homeschooled. Overall she seems very happy with K-12 and her addition of the religious teaching she wants. She did also add abc mouse but it is a reward type thing, if the kids have a test and they pass they get to play abc mouse for 30 minutes each. She said its actually one of their favorite rewards and they are still learning which is great.

Kalan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay for future reference there are some things i like about masterbooks and some things don't. Pros its easy to use, lucy enjoys the store part
Cons are its to easy she gets the three main books done in 30 minutes if we just do their lesson plan for that day of she does three days worth in all three books its about a 2 hrs or less she gets them done. On Fridays there is also science which is slow for her because we live on a farm and its not as in-depth of a lesson as i would like. The other issue i have with it then story explains it some but i would like it to be more instructive i guess them what it is. I would also like it to be abit more challenging for her we going to probably finish it early and try another curriculum. We did get some free math books from albeka so i do have next year's math for lucy for 3-4 th grade and also have boys math for kindergaten and 1st grade. So just need english-work history and science. Oh and the history is some interesting she has a hard time remembering any of it. Need to work on that. But you read about a page or two worth on the first day about the place second day you read some more answer a question day three is a crossword day for you color a flag and day five is an oral review. She doesn't seem to remember hardly anything if anything about what we read about. I do think they did a good job it's just thre right fit for us. So as i would recommend it for a child who struggles sitting still to do work or for a child who having a hard time and is a hands on learner as it does have hands one activity for them to use especially in math, they also use alot of note cards. So that's my thought so far.

Kalan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Fellow homeschooler here. 10yrs of it. For my highschool kids we like schoolhouse teachers.com would be great for younger Independent learners. Also used lifepac in the past year. Math for a living education was awesome for 1-6. EP all in one , good and beautiful for history. I'm just rambling on now. We have used so many things!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay so i think i finally have decide exactly what I want to do. I am going to continue using rod and staff for English and math. Then I am also going to you notgrass for history, also going to use Berean builders for elementary science for k-6 and apologea for 7-12th.

Wyndsong

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I homeschooled my two boys from birth to High school. They are both in the mid/late 20s now. We started homeschooling in southern CA and then finished it up in Las Vegas. I've used just about every curriculum out there. LOL I've used Oak Meadow, K-12, Time4Learning.com, and some charter homeschools as well. I also created my own curriculums or supplements at times. Please feel free to ask me anything.

Regarding socializing, the best thing to do is to find a local homeschooling organization. Usually they will have extra classes, field trips and other extra-curricular stuff for your kids to do. The one I belonged to in Las Vegas also had proms for the teens every year! It was awesome!

I loved homeschooling my boys and miss it sometimes. I made a lot of wonderful lifetime friends from the homeschool groups and it was amazing. I'm glad to see so many others, especially homesteaders/farmers, homeschooling now!! <3