Homeschooling

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I am Rebecca currently a mother of four and I homeschool our children currently my daughter who 6 (n march she be 7), my oldest son who is 4 and my younger son who will be two. mostly the older two get school the younger does some things with us but not much and the month old doesnt do any school lol. I am currently making our curriculium using some websites and either hand writing it or using the computer to make it. I currently am teaching English, math and some science, my husband teaches the history because one i hate history and can not make it fun for another and he loves all things history the crazy person. We have a small amount of farm animals planning on increasing that so lots of lie lessons there. I been debating about buy curriculums we had used one in the past (rod and staff) which was great except my daughter didnt care for it and made school hard however she is perfectly happy with doing the school work i make for her and my husband aproves of the level of difficultly that i make it. She very much like me and learns like i do in alot of ways so makes it easier to make her it for her. She been improving very quickly with it as well so i guess i am doing something right. i firgured i would make a thread to see how many of us home school and to also talk to other parents who do, we have several in our church that homeschool but one big difference is majority dont have a homestead and they are very active in outside the home activities and we cant afford alot of those right now so they are way busy and can rarely talk. so i going to bug yall lol. i figured we could discuss challanges and also share success and things that have helped us teach and other such things, any way hope to hear from yall soon.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I loved my years of homeschooling, but they are so far in the past I may not be able to contribute a lot to the discussion.
But I will be excited to read what all of you come up with. I also only homeschooled two, and I know the dynamics change dramatically when you have more learners. Good thread.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey thitle i am pretty sure you ll have alot more then you think for those of us just starting the end seems way off lol. today we doing assesment test as i am looking at the good and the beautiful curriculium to use but not really decided on it yet it is suppose be really good and grades 1-5 are free.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
well that ended faster then i thought it would....she gets frustrated with somethings she can do it when she reads a book but not when its a test she gets nervous and flustered so yeah she didnt pass one of the assements which i dont mind going back a grade in it but debating if i should print it out thats alot of ink and paper if she wont do it... mmm. that was the problem with rod and staff she likes to do what i make but not really sure what the difference is except that i try to make it harder she driving me crazy i keep debating on this it would be nice to have less prep time for school each day. i try to make it a during the week for the next week but some days are harder to make then others... i probably dicuss it more and keep going but did point out she needs to get more practice reading which isnt suprising as the rod and staff didnt give us much time to actually read instead it focused mostly on phonics and kept introducing new rules and not allowing time for us to practice the rule she learned so... fast pace is only good if you get time to practice what you learned so it sticks.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I home school 5 kids. Grades 10, 8, 6, 3.

I use k12. They are a free public based school. Almost all the work is done online. The school sends all supplies. My kids have been in k12 5 years now. We love it.

If the kids are struggling they have class connects. Where the kids go into a live chat room with other students and their teacher. To go over the course. One of the biggest things I love about the school is if your student fails a test, they can go back over it and retest.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dont think we ever thought about that simply because we want teach a bible prospective. however your the second person i know that uses and clear enjoys it i am glad it works so well. My daughter is a pain if its not fun or have me sitting with her she fights every step of the way right now she doing a work sheet i printed out for her as i review some worksheets on education and the othersites i use and she giving me additude .... any of yall deal with that :he:barnieand as soon as i point to the dang words on the worksheet she happliy says it... some days i feel crazy.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
My oldest was more of an independent learner than my second. The second took a few years longer to work alone. I think it's a maturing process. My second son also has dislexia so book learning was more challenging for him. We used Saxon math mostly, but kid#2 was more a kinesthetic learner so I switched to a program for him that had more manipulatives to teach concepts. I can't remember the name of it....
Apologia is an excellent Science curriculum.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Dee from Indiana. We use several curriculum currently including Abeka, Explode the code, and Learning Language through Literature. My oldest is John who is a 5th grader, hs since 2nd. My middle is Jocelyn a 2nd grader with speech issues but she's getting there reading. And just this month started officially with my youngest, Kinzey who is a Kindergartener. We also attend a weekly co op with other local Christian families. There they have gym/pe, art, science, business and sign language. We trail ride our horses and also raise bunnies for 4H and showing. In the process of fixing up a old farmstead with 20 acres.
@Jesusfreak101 almost every day I feel crazy.. I love having my kids around 24/7 but they drive me crazy too. :hide 13 more years...

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
almost every day I feel crazy.. I love having my kids around 24/7 but they drive me crazy too. :hide 13 more years...

This is not an anomaly :). We have all been there. Some of us may have spent more time there than others, lol, but it's part of family life.
If I was only allowed one bit of advice to give in my life, it would be to embrace this season with all your strength and heart.
It is a vapor, and is gone in an instant. I know it looks as though it stretches out beyond the horizon, but when it's gone there are no do overs.

One day a few years back, my oldest, who was 30 at the time, was helping me for a few days with my business. We were doing spring cleanups and were driving to a job. He said he wanted to thank me and dad for being married as long as we had been, and that he respected the fact that we actually still liked and enjoyed each other.
I asked him if he had any misgivings about being homeschooled, and he said no. He understood our reasons for choosing that lifestyle. That was a tremendous relief to my secret insecurities. And remarkable to hear that coming out of his mouth because he is pretty reserved.
I just say all that to encourage you. When you're down there getting blisters in the trenches it can be hard to remember your convictions, and to know that what you are doing is worth more than you may realize.

Latest posts