Hoof trimming oops

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are getting our Nigis ready for fair and I was trimming hooves. For the first time I cut a little too short and it bled. Nothing major - just one small area. Do I need to put anything on it?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Nah. Those bleed so much they pretty well flush themselves. Make sure they're UTD on tetnus, and keep an eye on it. I would only treat and wrap if it starts to look ooky or if the goat begins to lame.

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what I figured, but I thought I better check in with the experts! When you say up-to-date on tetanus, I'm assuming you mean CD&T vaccination?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I've had them gush like geysers if they jerk the wrong way, and haven't killed one yet.
(Not saying it CAN'T be serious, just that I've reallllly made some bleed w/ no lasting problems)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I always hate seeing blood when I'm trimming hooves, but the goats never seem to mind much when it happens. I wouldn't worry about it...

The weirdest hoof-trimming thing I ever saw happened when I was helping a guy trim a white hoof on a goat that was WAY overdue.. He kept cutting, and cutting, and cutting..no blood..but I could start to see the "quick" underneath the sole..

He cut again...and again..and again...and that 'quick' shaved right off and went back to white sole! Must have been an old bruise or something. I would never have known it, because I kept saying to the guy...he's gonna bleed...you're gonna cut him bad in a minute...you're killing me here man... Whack, whack, whack he went, grinning all the while..totally ignoring me..

:gig

He didn't quit till he got REAL blood..not little drops sweating up through pinholes in the sole, either...like, drippy bright red blood from between the hoof wall and the sole...which is simply the way a lot of folks around here do it.

:th