1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay for young goats - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

horizontal hives

Discussion in 'Feeding Bees, Growing plants for Nectar/Pollen' started by pippomky75, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017
    pippomky75

pippomky75 Chillin' with the herd

We have a langstroth bee hive, and I am not too thrilled with it for several reasons. I am 4'10". the hive is almost as tall as I am. I weigh 100. The boxes almost weigh as much as I do. It makes it hard to move them around and do inspections by myself. Also, my bees are just jerks. They do not like me messing around at all with that hive; however I tried draping some canvas over the box as I worked, this seemed to keep them calmer. I've done some reading on the horizontals, they seem like they would be a better set up for vertically challenged bee keepers, more cost effective, and less disruptive to the bees.

Are there any folks out there that use them? I'd love to hear some hands on details, opinions, suggestions or tips. also does anyone have a great plan they would be willing to share?

2. Dec 4, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Do a net search on top bar hives. They are simple to build, the frames do not stack but hang along a horizontal track within an long enclosed horizontal box. No stacking deeps. You can make it as long as you want and plenty low enough that you should be able to work on/in it with ease. Many swear by them, and they are much cheaper to make/operate.

Bruce likes this.
  3. Dec 25, 2017
    CLSranch

CLSranch Ridin' The Range

Latestarter has a good thought.

I'm a 6' 175lb fit construction worker who carrys much more than I weigh up stairs, ladders, etc and way to far.
    I STILL went with 8 frame mediums on my Langstroth hives because they were lighter. Not only easier on me but my not construction worker wife. Also I've read in bee keeping books and forums such as beesource the saying
    There are 2 types of bee keepers those with bad backs and those who are going to have bad backs.lol
    So after a few years of doing it, it should be comfortable as you can make it on yourself. Or your not going to like doing it.

Bruce likes this.