Household supplies for Emergencies and First Aid Kit

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were told use the cheapest port wine (cause it is the darkest red) & bathe the eyes with it. We used this every year after LA County Fair on our dairy goats. They always came home with several cases, possibly because of heat, winds, and dust. It will work, but for a quicker cure, we also gave an injection of LA200. I used to buy a gallon of the cheapest port before the Fair and make sure I had plenty of LA200 in the cupboard. The we would watch the goats for any blinking and as soon as we saw it would run in for the rubber gloves, squirt bottle of wine, and fill the syringes with antibiotic. Using this worked well, and sometimes I would even bathe the eyes then use the pinkeye powder puffer to pouf the dust into their eyes. Not sure what was working, but it used to clear up fast. At first we would pull and isolate them as they showed signs, but finally we stopped since we ran out of isolation pens and figured with the Santa Ana winds starting, they would all get it anyway. Eventually some of them developed a resistance.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Learn something new every day.....red wine for pinkeye! I bet the goats would have druther drank it...….

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, as you are filling the squirt bottle, you could always have a glass or two. Waste not want not! Surely a gallon is more than enough for the herd.:cool:

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
An interesting home cure for pinkeye.

:eek::(:barnie

The old timers should put it in their own eye first and see how they likes it..........

"A number of other treatments have been recommended for pinkeye treatment. Injection under the layer covering the eyeball has been documented to aid healing but must be done correctly or eye damage can occur. Since this is an extra-label use of an antibiotic it must only be done under the direction of the herd veterinarian.* Injection in or under the eyelid itself would be expected to give NO help in healing. Likewise milk injection has no documented benefit.
*this is no longer an accurate statement..it does sometimes (Draxxin and Nuflor) need to be prescribed, but the herder can administer it themselves..

Pinkeye in cattle is caused by a different bacteria, moxalis bovis, than what causes it in goats. Cattle get pinkeye and no lingering side affects after eye heals, if treated, etc.... Keeping pasture clipped, loose mineral mix supplement, flies off face, vaccinated for dominate strain of pinkeye, etc... can help keep pinkeye in cattle to a minimum.

Pinkeye in goats and sheep is caused by chlymidia and not only do you have the eyes affected, but later you will have abortion storms. If you know animals have been exposed, treatment with antibiotics can help diminish abortions. Auromycin crumbles fed the last six weeks of gestation was one effective treatment.

Depending upon the strain of chlymidia the pinkeye may be very, very mild so as to almost be not noticed, or so severe that entire herd is blinded.

The return of a loaned buck brought it into my herd. The buck had a watery eye for about a week and one wether had cloudy, watery eye, and no one else was affected. When does that were three months pregnant aborted, I figured out what was going on and got all treated, no more abortions. Best I remember gave all a loading dose of LA200 by injections, and then added crumbles until all had kidded.

Had several friends bring it home from ADGA Nationals one year. Even if animal does not have symptoms, if it is in your herd, they can spread it. And, so, it got spread. That was back about fifteen years ago and it was the really nasty kind that blinded all for weeks.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
How horrible for you to have your does abort. :hugs

Ours never aborted and we showed there for years and immediately treated when it showed up after we came home. I did start giving antibiotics after the first year or two in addition to the topical treatments for pinkeye.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Donna R. Raybon what a wealth of information you are and a valued member of this forum. The best lessons are the ones hardest learned and you sure have had your share. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I honestly didn't even know anomaly could get pink eye. I thought it was just a human thing. Learn something new everyday and this will help to to keep a better eye (no pun intended) on my flock of sheep.

Latest posts