how do ya'll feed?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed mine nothing, more than enough pasture for them. They eat hay when I give the horses some, but even then, they are really picky about the hay. I may or may not give them pellets a month before and after they lamb, but that really depends on the pasture condition.

herdsman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
secuono said:
I feed mine nothing, more than enough pasture for them. They eat hay when I give the horses some, but even then, they are really picky about the hay. I may or may not give them pellets a month before and after they lamb, but that really depends on the pasture condition.
You give yours Alfalfa pellets before breeding/lambing?

herdsman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
secuono said:
do You give yours Alfalfa pellets before breeding/lambing?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems that we feed them more than some people...they are not fat when I did the knuckle on the spine test for condition...yes, they are looking pretty rotund...but they are going to have their lamb in less than a month from now.

Guess you are going to have to try different feeds and see how your sheep do, and then adjust for optimum.

finns&fjords

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
herdsman said:
Well what is a breed like Suffolks that eat less? I like how the Suffolks look because they are well framed and aint long wooled and I need a breed that will sell in spring time.Any thoughts
I'd try to find the commercial type Suffolks that sheep-girl mentioned. I have one Suffolk, he's the show type, and yes he is big and gorgeous, but does eat more than the commercial type. Personally, if you just want to sell the lambs for meat in the spring, I'd find a good Suffolk cross. I have 2 comx ewes that I got as bummers from a farm with over 3k ewes. They're romneyXcheviotXdorset. I bred them to my fancy Suffolk ram last year and had NICE lambs that grew super fast. Could have marketed as 4-H lambs. Anyway, let us know what you decide to get.