1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How many goats? And horns?!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by LMK17, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jun 19, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm True BYH Addict

Before you purchase them, please get them tested for at least CAE. It is more common than you'd think and it's a huge waste of money to buy positive goats.

LMK17 and Hillaire like this.
  2. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    LMK17

LMK17 Loving the herd life

That's a really good recommendation. I wonder, though, what happens if they come back positive? They've lived on that farm their entire lives (with the exception of the past week-- see below); wouldn't a positive test indicate that the virus is present *on the property*? What would that mean for future animal acquisitions; would all new animals inevitably be exposed?

Also, the goats were just moved to the owners' new property down the street. They moved them last week. I'm not crazy about the move from a bio security standpoint. I MUCH preferred purchasing animals that were born on our new farm. How concerned should I be that the goats picked up some "bug" during their time on the other property?

What all should I have them tested for before we move them back to our new place?

3. Jun 22, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

If they only moved down the street odds of them picking up something new are pretty darn slim...so long as other livestock were not on that property or neighboring property in a few years and the owners didnt bring in any new stock with the moved old stock.

4. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM
    Alaskan

Alaskan Overrun with beasties

From what I understand. ..CAE is a spit and body fluids thing..... so, it is actually not something that stays in the soil.