1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How many goats? And horns?!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by LMK17, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jun 19, 2017
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm True BYH Addict

Before you purchase them, please get them tested for at least CAE. It is more common than you'd think and it's a huge waste of money to buy positive goats.

LMK17 and Hillaire like this.
  2. Jun 22, 2017
    LMK17

LMK17 Loving the herd life

That's a really good recommendation. I wonder, though, what happens if they come back positive? They've lived on that farm their entire lives (with the exception of the past week-- see below); wouldn't a positive test indicate that the virus is present *on the property*? What would that mean for future animal acquisitions; would all new animals inevitably be exposed?

Also, the goats were just moved to the owners' new property down the street. They moved them last week. I'm not crazy about the move from a bio security standpoint. I MUCH preferred purchasing animals that were born on our new farm. How concerned should I be that the goats picked up some "bug" during their time on the other property?

What all should I have them tested for before we move them back to our new place?

3. Jun 22, 2017
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

If they only moved down the street odds of them picking up something new are pretty darn slim...so long as other livestock were not on that property or neighboring property in a few years and the owners didnt bring in any new stock with the moved old stock.

4. Jun 22, 2017
    Alaskan

Alaskan Loving the herd life

From what I understand. ..CAE is a spit and body fluids thing..... so, it is actually not something that stays in the soil.

5. Jun 23, 2017
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

CAE
    Caprine arthritis encephalitis (CAE) is a contagious viral disease of goats. The disease is typically spread from mother to kid through the ingestion of colostrum or milk. CAE virus may also be spread among adult goats through contact with body secretions including blood and feces of infected goats.

CL
    Caseous lymphadenitis is a contagious bacterial infection of the lymph nodes of sheep and goats. It is caused by a bacterium called Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis. Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis, the bacterium that causes the disease CL, is spread from animal to animal primarily through contact with material from subcutaneous abscesses (pus) or fomites (inanimate objects) contaminated with abscess material.

JOHNE'S DISEASE
    Johne's (“YO-knees”) disease is a fatal gastrointestinal disease of goats and other ruminants (including cattle, sheep, elk, deer, and bison) that is caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis (MAP).This infection is contagious, which means it can spread from one animal to another. MAP is hardy - while it cannot replicate outside of an infected animal, it is resistant to heat, cold and drying.

I think MAP or CL is the one your thinking of staying in the soil as MAP can 'live" in the soil for up to 13 months in ideal conditions and CL can for several months as well.

LMK17 likes this.