How much is too much?

RoosterHollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just got my first goats about three weeks ago, three alpine does and their kids who are all just about three weeks old. The kids all look great, but the does were all a bit neglected at their last home so I'm trying to get them in better condition. I noticed lice last night so I picked up the dust today to treat. I also took in fecals today and the vet recommended Ivomec injectable (as that's what I have on hand) to treat....also mentioned that cocci is pretty bad in this area so I intend to preventively treat the kids with Di-methox. So my questions are this...

1. Should I treat the babies with the dust as well, or just the moms?

2. Will ivomec residues from the moms, and Di-methox and livestock dust at the same time, cause problems?

3. Is this all too much to do at one time? Should I separate the treatments?

Thanks for any and all advise.....I knew there would be a learning curve with goats...but I wasn't expecting so many different things, in such a short amount of time.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Personally I would treat the lice and use the ivomec and wait a week on the Di-methox.

I would treat the kids for worms and lice.

RoosterHollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you!! Just to throw a monkey wrench....the babies will be due for their CDT vaccine next week. Will that be ok with the Di-Methox, or should I space those apart too? Also do I dose ivermec at the same rate for the babies....1cc per 25lbs orally?