How much milk does a Purebred Lamancha give per day?

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
no problem! i'm here to spread the la mancha love! honestly we got better results when we made cheese from the LM also...i think they are a great breed.

too bad so many people say they can't get by the no ear thing
and i KNOW! whats the deal with the ear thing??? we think they look like funny little aliens. and yes we've been asked if we:

1. cut the ears off on purpose
2. they got frost bitten on their ears

no no no... they are supposed to be that way.

our big ol' sanaan is at the breeders and i have to say we miss her being the Boss Goat, sassy as she is.

only 4 cups sounds like she is starting to wind down.. is she on lush hay?? i had the hardest time drying my gal out. after being worried all summer if i was even hourr late for milking... it took me almost 6 weeks for her to be dry! sheesh!

good luck!

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yea crazy how Lamanchas are the sweetest personality of goats, but get overlooked the most from what we've experienced. :rolleyes:

We were at a sale & heard people commenting "Awe look at that one's poor ears, that poor thing"...........they were probably assuming abuse for the resulting 'no ear' look. But I didn't have 5 min to explain their ears were perfectly fine & natural on a Lamancha. Poor breed is so misunderstood by non goat people.

When my husband's boss seen a photo of our baby buckling he immediately recognize how he was a "Cute Lamancha"....(he had a grandfather who raise some when he was a child). But sadly he remembers ---unlikable goaty milk--. I think some people just don't understand to milk away from smells, & it gives goats a bad wrap too. :/ That people think goat's milk has to 'taste bad.' So far tho he hasn't talked his wife into the idea of lil Lamancha kid to add to thier animal family........yet. :lol:

Yes our Doe is on Good quality hay. But dispite that still milks 2 cups twice per day. But I'd like her to get fully used to the milk stand we have, & get better at her slight "tail tuck crouch" when I milk her before she's dried off. She doesn't do that real bad, but it's just a challenging quirk to work out. I told my husband either someone was milking into a dixie cup & was helping to 'get closer' or she had really, really short kids. :lol:

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If she is tucking her tail and crouching she is afraid. All milking does need goat grain along with a good quality hay/alfalfa/alfalfa pellets.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
kimmyh said:
If she is tucking her tail and crouching she is afraid. All milking does need goat grain along with a good quality hay/alfalfa/alfalfa pellets.
That's what's weird, she's not tucking her tail down or under at all, it's fully up. It's like she has someone leaning on her bum a little.... not to a huge extent, & she's getting better with every milking.

Yes she gets her ration of Dairy goat grain, that she's fed in the stanchion while she's milked. & they get good quality alfalfa hay. We researched goats for a little over a year before even getting them. & read the book Storey's Guide to Dairy Goats... I grew up in the country raising horses, but goats were a whole new thing, so we wanted to make sure we were covering all bases of care & ownership, you can never have too much information. ;)

And she's not afraid of anything or situation, & is fine with anything that needs done, even stands like a Pro for hoof trimming... wish my Huge Saanen was as easy for her hoof trims. :rolleyes: She's not even a 1st freshener either, just a quirk I guess. :idunno

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Mine crouches when I start to milk. Her tail is not tucked, though, and she is definitely not afraid. But even if she is standing so that her teats are behind her leg, when I start to wash her udder, she goes into the crouch. It really makes milking much easier.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Mine crouches when I start to milk. Her tail is not tucked, though, and she is definitely not afraid. But even if she is standing so that her teats are behind her leg, when I start to wash her udder, she goes into the crouch. It really makes milking much easier.
Yea that sounds like what mine does. She stands fine, but as soon as I start to wash her she does that slight 'crouch' stance. I mean she'll even move the inside of her leg slightly outward (as she's used to getting each side washed) but just does the crouch thing. Funny thing is after I'm done & stand up she immediately stands normally. :idunno Atleast it's not just mine that does this. :) But since this was her 2nd freshening (we got her not too long ago already freshened) I assumed this was just her habit.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
My brother milked when I was a kid, and this is my own first dairy goat. I am thinking/hoping that this is normal behavior and that they all do this! I am preparing my doeling by handling her udder and she crouches, too, now. She is seven months. She goes onto the milking stand like a dream. I hope to get her bred later this winter, to my new LaMancha buckling.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I before this Doe have only had my Saanen as a milking dairy goat & she just stands as she would regularly to be milked. No different stance at all. So this was new to me to have this Doe do this. But she's used to being handled in all areas. & it's not so bad that she's sitting like a dog or anything, so I figure it's just her thing. But I know it must make her back hurt a bit slouching in the slight crouch like that. Thank goodness I'm an experienced hand milker or her back would Really be sore. :lol: If I touch her back even for a light hand pat, she stands up straightening her back like normal. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with your breeding. :) & I myself don't worry about her milking 'quirk', since it doesn't hurt her. Just thought it was a bit odd. :lol: Maybe your Does and mine are related. :lol:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Some of mine crouch on the stand, some don't.
It seems to us that it's the more dairy-type does that do it.
We put every goat on the stand to trim hooves / medicate / get used to being touched in the udder area from a young age.
My husband swears if a dry doe does crouches when he touches her there, she'll make an easy milker and so far he's been right every time....?
That's not science, that's his redneck luck.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Wow, so interesting. I hope your redneck is right, because I love my little Ginger Peach and hope this means she will be a good milker!

Don't worry about her back being sore from crouching. I am a massage therapist and instructor and I work with people and horses....people's backs are compressed from being upright. The four-legged animals backs are in a state of suspension, like a bridge. They have their "issues" in their hips, shoulders, and legs. So her back will be just fine.

Your's might get sore from milking, however! :p