How Soon to Return to the Herd?

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of our little bred pygmy goat has had pinkeye. We've been giving 2 Pen-G injections and 1 Pen-G in each eye daily for 8 days with 2 more days to go. She is making huge improvements daily. One eye is almost normal and the other is much better. My question is, when will it be ok to put her back in the rest of the herd? I don't want to take a chance on passing it on to our other goats. Thanks for you help.

Goatgirl12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We just had the same thing happen to our only Pygmy, and she was bred too. We ended up having to get an antibiotic ointment from a vet for the eye, along with doing the Pen G inj, and did that for almost 10 days. Once that was over and she looked much better we returned her to the herd. Hope that helps.

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks Goatgirl12. We did the 10 days of PenG injections and 10 days of PenG in the eyes. One eye is completely normal, the other one still has just a little bit to go before it's normal. I didn't know if she was still contagious since the one eye has one little spot on it. She has regained her eyesight in both eyes!! Yea!