How to Attract Rabbits to Your Backyard

BYH Project Manager

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Rabbits are charming and playful creatures that can make excellent pets. However, even if you don't want to keep them as pets, you can still enjoy their presence in your backyard. There are a few simple things you can do to attract rabbits to your backyard, and with a little effort, you can have a steady stream of these cute and cuddly creatures visiting you regularly.

There are several advantages of having rabbits in your backyard:
  1. Natural Pest Control: Rabbits are known to help control garden pests, such as aphids and caterpillars, by eating them. This means you can reduce the use of harmful pesticides in your garden.
  2. Low Maintenance: Rabbits are low-maintenance pets and do not require daily grooming or walks like dogs. They are also quiet animals that do not make much noise, making them ideal for suburban or urban environments.
  3. Fertilizer: Rabbit manure is a great fertilizer for plants and can be used to improve the soil in your garden.
  4. Educational: Keeping rabbits in your backyard can be a great educational experience for children. They can learn about the care and behavior of these animals, as well as the importance of a healthy diet and proper exercise.
  5. Beauty and Fun: Rabbits are adorable and playful creatures that can bring a lot of joy and beauty to your backyard. Watching them hop and play can be a relaxing and entertaining activity.
  6. Meat and Fur: If you choose to raise rabbits for food or fur, having them in your backyard can provide a source of sustenance and help reduce your grocery bill.

Rabbits are among the most popular small mammals that people keep as pets. They are adorable, social animals that are easy to care for, and they are very active, which makes them fun to watch. If you have a backyard, you can make it a haven for rabbits, even if you don't want to keep them as pets. There are a few things you can do to attract these creatures to your yard, and once they arrive, they are sure to become regular visitors.

Food and Water​

One of the best ways to attract rabbits to your backyard is to provide them with food and water. Rabbits are herbivores, so you can feed them a variety of leafy greens, such as lettuce, spinach, and kale. You can also offer them carrots, alfalfa, and hay. Avoid feeding them anything that is poisonous to rabbits, such as potatoes, tomatoes, and rhubarb. Make sure to keep their food and water dishes clean and filled with fresh water, and change the food daily.

Shelter​

Rabbits are shy creatures that need a place to hide. Providing them with shelter, such as a hut or a cardboard box, will give them a safe place to retreat to when they feel threatened. Make sure the shelter is big enough for the rabbits to stand up, turn around, and stretch out. You can also provide them with an area of dense vegetation, such as a clump of bushes, where they can hide.

Attractive Plants​

Rabbits love to munch on a variety of plants, so planting some of their favorite plants in your backyard can help attract them. Some of the plants that rabbits love include clovers, dandelions, wildflowers, and blackberries. Planting these types of plants in your backyard will give the rabbits a reason to visit and will provide them with a constant source of food.

No predators​

Rabbits are prey animals and are always on the lookout for predators. To attract rabbits to your backyard, you need to make sure that there are no predators lurking around. Keep your cat indoors and make sure that any other pets you have are not a threat to the rabbits. You can also install a fence around your backyard to keep predators out.

Summary​

In conclusion, having rabbits in your backyard can provide several benefits, from natural pest control to entertainment and even food and fur production. With proper care and a safe environment, rabbits can be a wonderful addition to any backyard.

Attracting rabbits to your backyard is easy if you provide them with food, water, shelter, and a safe place to hide. By planting some of their favorite plants and keeping predators away, you can make your backyard a haven for these cute and cuddly creatures. With a little effort, you can have a steady stream of rabbits visiting your yard regularly. Whether you keep them as pets or just enjoy their presence, they are sure to bring a smile to your face every time they visit.

Do you have any rabbits in your backyard? Share your experiences in the comment section below.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wild rabbits? Surely you are joking!

1. Snacks for my dogs.

2. They eat my garden and as young bunnies can go through 2x4” non climb wire. I wouldn’t have to plant things they like—they are perfect capable of mowing down the garden plants that I nurture and plant for ME to eat.

3. They bring fleas.

4. Yes they are cute, fun to watch and I like them so much better out in the field. So do hawks. And owls.

Tame rabbits? I wouldn’t have them running loose. They are on the food chain and the hawks around here would clean them out.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
rabbit nest.jpg

Rabbit nest in a raised garden/flower bed. Really....the whole yard and she goes here 15' from my backdoor.