How to Find a Bull to Breed to

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 12 month old Jersey heifer and I am starting to think about breeding. Are there any resources where people offer stud services? We are not interested in A.I. and are not prepared to own our own bull, as we have heard Jersey bulls are the most aggressive of the dairy breeds.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m curious as to why you wouldn’t want to go with AI? It will be the most convenient method for you, especially for just one heifer. Stud services can be hit and miss, with quality animals probably costing more than AI and “affordable” options opening you up to a possibility of disease. Then you have to factor in hauling the animal to the desired location, time there, hauling her back.

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I’m curious as to why you wouldn’t want to go with AI? It will be the most convenient method for you, especially for just one heifer. Stud services can be hit and miss, with quality animals probably costing more than AI and “affordable” options opening you up to a possibility of disease. Then you have to factor in hauling the animal to the desired location, time there, hauling her back.

We aren't into anything artificial. We seek the ancient paths in all that we do, for in them we shall have rest.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 12 month old Jersey heifer and I am starting to think about breeding. Are there any resources where people offer stud services? We are not interested in A.I. and are not prepared to own our own bull, as we have heard Jersey bulls are the most aggressive of the dairy breeds.

Do you want another Jersey or just wanting a calf so she will freshen and for meat to eat later? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble breeding her to a beef bull, as Jersey bulls are not often as available. I bred my Jersey back to an Angus....for free, mind you...and got a lovely heifer from the pairing.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed and @Baymule both have good suggestions. If you can find a young angus bull, and buy it, you can then put him in the freezer. Bulls make good beef and better if they aren't too terribly old. A young jersey bull would also be a way to go, then put him in the freezer as soon as his work is done. They are often more tempermental, and not suggested for anyone (especially beginners) to keep. I had one that belonged to a neighbor dairy, and used him until they decided what they were going to do with him. He was very good dispositioned, but I am also experienced with keeping and dealing with bulls.

The angus would be the way to go for a breeder, freezer beef, and the resulting calf if a male would be future beef. If a female, would make a good one to raise and breed to have another source of future freezer beef.

Most people, us included, do not like to rent/lease out bulls that much. We don't know what disease the bull could come home with. There is the trucking(trailering) to and from the place, and what kind of facilities there are to catch up an animal. How good are the fences to contain him? Once he has done his job, what is to keep him in the pasture until you are sure she is bred? What if it gets hurt? Responsibilities that have to be spelled out. You will spend probably $1-300 just to get one cow bred. And like I said, what if something happens to the bull while in your care.... as the saying goes, "you break it, you own it" and that could be in the neighborhood of $1-3,000 for the bull.
If there is a neighbor close, with beef animals, maybe they would be willing for your heifer to run with his cows to get bred. You would have to pay some sort of a "pasture fee" for her upkeep there. $1-3.00 per day usually. If she gets hurt, that is not the bull owners fault because she is Pasturing with his cattle. If none of his cattle have a problem, then it is just your bad luck if she should get hurt.

Either find a neighbor that would be willing to run her with his cattle to get bred, or buy a young, 10 to 15 mos old bull, get her bred then put him in the freezer.
Okay, I am going to say this, in the following I basically am referring to buying a random bull, at a stockyard sale, or off someone that does not raise bulls as a business. I try to stipulate the difference in a registered bull that is being bought off a farm that raises them as a business, and therefore will offer and sell bulls with certain guarantees.

If you are not going to be using a jersey bull, wait until she is at least 18 months and has some good growth so that if she is bred to an angus, her body will be more mature and if the calf is a little big, should be able to deliver it. There are angus that are considered easy calving and put 50 lb calves on the ground. The only way to be reasonably sure of that is to breed AI. There are some considered to be "plus weight" bulls, will put a bigger calf on the ground and you do not want a first calf heifer having one of them. No way to be reasonably sure of what the bull will produce with a purchased live bull, unless you buy one at a registered bull sale with guarantees. Realize too, that a purchased young bull, you could be bringing in a disease that could create some problems. There is Lepto that causes abortions, and a few other diseases that can be passed from a bull to a female in breeding, that can render her infertile, or sterile, or to have abortions and never carry full term. We only buy bulls, at sales, where they are "virgin bulls" and have have guarantees as to breeding soundness and vaccinations against diseases. Johne's is another disease that can get passed and is not curable....causes breeding problems among others and is often fatal.

One more thing, You may not believe in AI, and want things to be all natural. Seriously consider having the heifer Bangs Vaccinated. Has to be done by the time she is 12 months. Brucellosis can cause undualnt fever in people. The bangs vacc will eliminate that. One time vaccination. Undulant fever has killed people, especially babies that drank the milk. All my retained heifers get bangs vacc.... even my beef heifers. It is not required, but in my book is essential. I don't ever want to question if the milk is safe to drink...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No less than a year old. I am sure @farmerjan would have more input on this, she prefers Jersey meat above all else. It might be a good idea, once you have confirmed that your cow in bred, to have him castrated so you can feed him out to the preferred weight/age. Again, farmerjan is the one to go to for this.

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Where are you located? I have a couple of homozygous polled Dexter bull calves old enough to breed (They will start breeding at 8 months) Young enough to not have the expense of trichomoniasis testing. They are not registered but definitely purebred.

Latest posts