How to get a baby goat to eat grain

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello all, I have 8 Nigerian dwarf goats, two are 8 weeks old , I feed all of them 16 % medicated grain in the morning, the two babys arrived here a couple days ago, and were not bottle babys, one of them will eat all his grain, as for the other , I try putting it in a bowl and feed him like I do all the others, unsuccessful, I try holding him and hand feed him, unsuccessful,
Can anyone tell me what I should try next,
I took a fecal sample to the vet. And it came back with a small amount of coccidia, and was told the medicated grain would be good enough for them.
But Murphy will not eat it,
Any ideas please
Thank you
Jack

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is he eating the hay provided? My baby Doe wouldn't eat the kid starter at first either. She was almost 8 weeks but she learned by doing what my other older kid would do. Still neither one like to eat grass even though I take them out daily to graze. I just put it in the bowl and left it for them. Now they call for me each morning and evening for their serving of kid starter.

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is he eating the hay provided? My baby Doe wouldn't eat the kid starter at first either. She was almost 8 weeks but she learned by doing what my other older kid would do. Still neither one like to eat grass even though I take them out daily to graze. I just put it in the bowl and left it for them. Now they call for me each morning and evening for their serving of kid starter.
My kids are 8 weeks also, I give all of my goats , Nutrena 16% medicated, one kid will eat it the other wont, they both graze gr and as and I seen them nibble on hay. I really need him to eat the grain , because of the coccidia.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
My kids are 8 weeks also, I give all of my goats , Nutrena 16% medicated, one kid will eat it the other wont, they both graze gr and as and I seen them nibble on hay. I really need him to eat the grain , because of the coccidia.
Get corrid for the water and use that for the kids. Medicated feed is a preventative and not a cure. Corrid will cure the coccidiosis.

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you know how many coccidia eggs per view? What’s his eye lid color like?
As long as he’s eating hay, he should be fine, and start eating feed soon, but need to get that coccidia under control.
Not sure how many, the vet said not many.
The two little ones are eating hay,

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you want them on grain? They need to develop their rumens. The rumen develops by eating roughage (hay). Just feed good quality hay for a while. I had standard dairy goats and Boers, and we never fed grain until the does were in late pregnancy or milking. The bucks rarely got any supplements. We do get high quality alfalfa here though, which is very high in protein. If your hay is not good quality that may be why you have to feed a supplement. In the meantime, just feed hay and introduce the grain later when they are older.